Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What happened to my X3?

Müřlıń®

After installing X5 on my computer with X3 and X4 already installed, X3 errored out with a missing ocx.

I removed all versions of mastercam and sweeped the registry clear of all mcam and cnc software keys.

now X3 will not install. The original disk say it is missing something and the web installer says there is an invallid path.

In the control panel there are 2 X icons that will not remove and they are corrupt.

I am a little irritated that this happened because it also nuked all my restore points and I did not have a ghost of the fresh install.

Does anyone know what caused this so I will not repeat it?

Will X5 install on the same computer that X3 is on?

not trying to be a smarta$$, but if you'vegot X5, why would you even care if X3 won't install

Because X3 is the only release that will work with my 3rd party software.

You might ask why I don't throw away thousands of dollars and get current with my 3rd party software...same reason I let maintenance go on Mastercam.....not worth it.

• Like 1

Because X3 is the only release that will work with my 3rd party software.

You might ask why I don't throw away thousands of dollars and get current with my 3rd party software...same reason I let maintenance go on Mastercam.....not worth it.

OK had to ask

OK had to ask

The 3rd party software I use is not really getting refined, developed or getting any new features.

They just rely on CNC, PTC and others to keep changing the kernel so they can justify their yearly maintenance fees just to make it work with the CAD system you are using...totally bogus....

Now can I install X5 on the same box With X3 or no?

Since something I did appears to have nuked my whole OS, I would rather not repeat it. (and yes I know how to edit the registry)

I have v9, X3, X4, X5, and X6 on a Windows XP-32 box and all version work fine. First I have found that I must install them in the order I have listed. If I re-install a previous version it seems to mess up the newer versions. Secondly, at some point you will have to download and run the newest hasp.exe and Nhasp.exe so it reads your sim code and updates your sim properly. BTW, I NEVER use migration and therefore never have any folder/path/missing default/etc type problems once the install is complete.

There is a tech bulletin out there somewhere about the missing OCX. Something about copying the file from one folder and replacing one from another folder. Don't remember exactly. Maybe someone else will chime in.

try use installer switches

run cmd

use installfile ?

to get list of appropriate switches

in command line try to use install file with switches /S/v/qn

Thanks Alex I will try that. Do you know why the change properties for mastercamX is nuked in the control panel? They shouldn't even be there if I uninstalled everything.

The uninstaller for X3 also got nuked and I had to remove the program from add/remove programs three times before it went away in the list.

I have v9, X3, X4, X5, and X6 on a Windows XP-32 box and all version work fine. First I have found that I must install them in the order I have listed. If I re-install a previous version it seems to mess up the newer versions. Secondly, at some point you will have to download and run the newest hasp.exe and Nhasp.exe so it reads your sim code and updates your sim properly. BTW, I NEVER use migration and therefore never have any folder/path/missing default/etc type problems once the install is complete.

There is a tech bulletin out there somewhere about the missing OCX. Something about copying the file from one folder and replacing one from another folder. Don't remember exactly. Maybe someone else will chime in.

ok thanks for answering that because I really wanted to have them both on the same system...I love X5. I just don't know what I did wrong. But I think you may have it.

When I got the missing ocx, I uninstalled X3, then tried to reinstall and it all went to hell from there.

But I never had things get messed up with the OS before like the installer go missing or the control panel getting wigged.

change properties for mastercaqmX

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related to all versions you have

Mine switches from X5 to X4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now X3 will not install. The original disk say it is missing something and the web installer says there is an invallid path.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Make it vallid

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\me>path /?

Displays or sets a search path for executable files.

PATH [[drive:]path[;...][;%PATH%]

PATH ;

Type PATH ; to clear all search-path settings and direct cmd.exe to search

only in the current directory.

Type PATH without parameters to display the current path.

Including %PATH% in the new path setting causes the old path to be

appended to the new setting.

Or change enviropment variable Path setting value

change properties for mastercaqmX

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related to all versions you have

Mine switches from X5 to X4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Make it vallid

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\me>path /?

Displays or sets a search path for executable files.

PATH [[drive:]path[;...][;%PATH%]

PATH ;

Type PATH ; to clear all search-path settings and direct cmd.exe to search

only in the current directory.

Type PATH without parameters to display the current path.

Including %PATH% in the new path setting causes the old path to be

appended to the new setting.

Or change enviropment variable Path setting value

ok cool I will run the web installer again and write down the missing path and set it and try to install again.

Maybe if it installs successfully it will fix the control panel.

thanks

well my OS is imploding.

Somehow this ordeal nuked my installer dll in windows and a windows hotfix failed to install and then it would not uninstall. Couldnt manually install the hotfixes, Microsofts fixit would not even work....

Tried to uninstall service pack 3 and it choked on reinstall....bummer...

I just typed path; and exited then ran the X3 web installer and it installed.

But windows updated and got halfway through a hotfix and errored.

Went to Microsoft and ran fix it...couldn't fix it. Tried to do a manual install....failed.

Uninstalled Sp3 and when I reinstalled it errored with a message the installer is broken. And then the OS finally imploded and the only thing I could do was to boot into safe mode and grab everything I needed off the drive.

Its reformatting now. So its a dead issue im afraid.

Thanks for help. But I screwed it up real good...

Going to get a 2003l ghost image this time on a fresh install of all my software.

I don't trust system restore any more.