Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What am I doing wrong??

bamavick

I have been using X4 on my Windows XP machine. I loaded X5 and did all the updates to all folders. (Never toolpathed anything in X5 and all my libraries and power settings were created in X4.) I then got a new computer with Windows 7 and I loaded just X5 on that computer and then copied over from the XP machine the CNC Machines folder and the Wire folder from the shared mcamx5 folder to the same shared mcamx5 folder on the Windows 7 computer. I can create new toolpaths just fine and it uses the right power libraries but if I open a file that was created in X4 or if I import a operation from my operations library that has been updated to X5, it says it can not locate my power library folder. Its still looking for it in C:\mcamx\wire\power...... Please help!!! Oh and all my power library is pointing to the right folder in all control def. and settings config. C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx5\wire\power.

Ok, do you mean the operations that I created? Do I need to go in and change all my operations created in X4 to point to the right folder for the power libraries? And when I open a file created in X4 is it just going to say NONE in the power library but still have all the right wire comp and its up to me to just reroute the power library for that file if I choose to?

Ill open it up in a bit and check, but yeah you just need to point that

file in the right place.

Or maybe select all file, right click, edit common para and change

it in there

Im not a wire guy but am only guessing since i dont have a file open in front of me.

PEACE :D

You would think it would change all my operations automatically to point to the new location and also with all my files that I open with those operations in them to just look in the new shared folder. Maybe I just had wishful thinking and with me not have X4 on this computer their was no old folders with old power libraries in them. Maybe thats it? Let me know what you come up with. I have went round and round with this and even did a go to meeting with my reseller and still no luck....

You would think it would change all my operations automatically to point to the new location and also with all my files that I open with those operations in them to just look in the new shared folder. Maybe I just had wishful thinking and with me not have X4 on this computer their was no old folders with old power libraries in them. Maybe thats it? Let me know what you come up with. I have went round and round with this and even did a go to meeting with my reseller and still no luck....

It is the files themselves poiting to the old location, when ever I open an older file that used a prior version of MasterCAM I have to update all the paths as I use them.

bamavick, did you get everything sorted out? If you did not resolve your issue you can delete your configuration on your new Win 7 machine. When you restart Mastercam it will create a config which should have the correct data paths.

If this doesn't work you can always open your config file up in a text editor and manually input the correct data paths.

I did, thanks, I remapped all my power libraries in my operations to the proper folders. I made a folder in C:\mcamx\wire\power with all my power libraries just so I could tell what the power name was so each time I pull up a older file I can then remap it. Not sure if this is a wise thing to do but it works for me... For now...

The correct solution would be to "re load" the machine definition from X5.

Open the file from X4

In the operation manager under the properties of the machine

Files

replace

choose the machine def from X5.

should be good to go.

You would need to do this for any file from X4.

Allan