Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis/Advance Mfg Class

F800R

I have been asked to teach a 5-axis/Advance Mfg class at a local community college. To say the least I'm very excited to be able to pass on knowledge, given to me by great mentors and self determination :book: . However,I have a very limited time frame to create a curriculum and I wanted to know if any teachers/instructors here have a outline they are willing to share :D . We will need to cover 4th, 3+2 and full five in a 16 week class. I have a good idea how I want to approach it ,but the local CC have never taught this class. So any info you all are willing to share would be appreciated. Of course I would be wiling to share the final outline to help others.

Thanks in advanced.

KK

I have been asked to teach a 5-axis/Advance Mfg class at a local community college. To say the least I'm very excited to be able to pass on knowledge, given to me by great mentors and self determination . However,I have a very limited time frame to create a curriculum and I wanted to know if any teachers/instructors here have a outline they are willing to share . We will need to cover 4th, 3+2 and full five in a 16 week class. I have a good idea how I want to approach it ,but the local CC have never taught this class. So any info you all are willing to share would be appreciated. Of course I would be wiling to share the final outline to help others.

I am in the same with ya. I have about 8 months to get a curriculum together for our local cc where I will be teaching. They have a Haas Super Mini-Mill with a bolt-on 5-axis trunnion. We picked up a very small Raptor like fixture for holding parts. The tallest part we can use is only 2.125 inches which leaves only about 4 inches for a tool length. Not very big but good enough for someone to learn 5-axis concepts. I have a model of the fixture and workpiece blanks we will be using. I also have the first part modeled up which will be just 3+2 to teach A/B angles and direction of rotation. Other than that I am also looking for suggestions on curriculum and sample parts.

i use the stuff karlo puts out for his multiax class, in my class. he has so many examples there, it makes going thru the curricula i use a breeze. i have combined the multiax part of the getting started series with some of my own stuff. if anyone wants to see what i have done, i can share with no problems. in PDF form though, the size is 16 megs. let me know if you want it emailed or put on the ftp site.

Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. Our college also recently acquired a small (hrt 160) haas trunnion, so a dedicated multi-axis class is now a reality. This summer I'm going to be constructing a course. Trevor yes I'd love to see how you do it.

I'm happy to share all sorts of my level 1-3 material I've generated over the years. Handouts, pdfs, mini-lessons, mini-videos, etc etc. Could we instructors maybe have a quarantined/protected section of the ftp?

Kyle- Great meeting you the other day! The world certainly is small. Our semester just finished and I'll be in touch shortly.

I have been asked to teach a 5-axis/Advance Mfg class at a local community college. To say the least I'm very excited to be able to pass on knowledge, given to me by great mentors and self determination :book: . However,I have a very limited time frame to create a curriculum and I wanted to know if any teachers/instructors here have a outline they are willing to share :D . We will need to cover 4th, 3+2 and full five in a 16 week class. I have a good idea how I want to approach it ,but the local CC have never taught this class. So any info you all are willing to share would be appreciated. Of course I would be wiling to share the final outline to help others.

Thanks in advanced.

KK

I'm glad that this is finally being offered. I'm going to being taking classes again this fall in charlotte and I'll probably be in your class in the spring. :thumbup:

thanks.

dave

@ Chris, I would love to see the class material you have. I can hook you up with an Yousendit account if the ftp is not available. Yea, it was pretty cool to meet you this week. I will definitely be in touch.

@ Will, I will call you early this week.

@ Jay, If you are willing to share your class outline I would be grateful and anything I have would be available to you too.

@ Scott, Unfortunately I only have about 2 months. We have a Haas VF1 w/vTR160v( full 5), VF2 w/ 2 indexing tables bolted together ( positional 5) and a Okuma VMC w/ Nikken 4th/5th recently consigned by Okuma ( full 5). Pretty luck to have lot of equipment to work with. We do not have any real good work holding. Did Rapture donate or did you have to purchase it?

@ Trevor, Thanks for the recommendation. The MC default files was on the list to review for class material. Any recommendations are welcome. I would love to see you projects. I can hook you up with an Yousendit account to if you want?

@ Racingdave, very cool. I got to meet a few students at CPCC last time I was there, I llok forward to meeting you.

I appreciate everyone response. I will send eveyone a PM with my email so we can communicate in more detail.

Thanks,

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

We mounted the trunnion yesterday and started testing it out. I attached some pictures of the clamping device. The name on it is 5th Axis and paper work says San Diego CA.

There is not much space on this Haas mini mill for 5-axis work. The first issue we ran into was with the unit mounted in the center T-slot there was not enough stroke in Y axis when A was tilted to +90. Moved it to the back slot where it hung off the back of the table about an inch so. We then changed a Y-axis stroke parameter so students don't slam it into the Z-axis sheet metal on the column. The next issue was G91G28Z0. On this Haas mini-mill G28Z0 is not at max Z+ position, it is tool change height for the carousel. This would slam the tool into the part. Along with this is the fact that an M06 also goes to the G28Z0 position. To get around this problem we changed the post to output the following for every tool:

G90G53Z4.45

G90G53X-8.5Y0(moves the tool to an X position between the part and the carousel)

T02M06

G90G53Z4.25

rapid XY to part

G43H2Z.1

cut the part

G90G53Z4.25

M01

We also changed the post to output G90G53Z4.25 before each A or B rotation.

We started to do some air cut testing and noticed that as it ran and and re-positioned the B-axis in 90 degree increments several times, it slowly started to lose its position by about 2 degrees. The machine would then alarm out with a TT? B-axis servo lag error. This a brand new Haas TR-110 trunnion. Not sure if it is the unit itself or some kind of encoder parameter that needs adjusting. I noticed when indicating the dove tail fixture that when reversing B direction with the hand wheel there was no indicator motion for a full half revolution of the hand wheel - backlash? Will play with this a little more but looks like Haas will have to get over here eventually.

Does anyone know what parameters I can use to limit A- to about 20 degrees and A+ to about 120 degrees? Need to prevent students from rotating too far and hitting that Z axis sheet metal on the column.

post-23209-0-65201800-1340544717_thumb.jpg

post-23209-0-99344600-1340544736_thumb.jpg

Scott,

We have a VF-2 with a TR160 table. It was very tricky to get the thing setup to maximize the amount of travel, get it in a position to make a tool change without smashing something and putting the probe in a spot where it would not get hit. We looked at that fixture you have. It come from a company called 5th Axis CNC. They have a shop out in San Diego that does 5 axis work as well as sells the work holding devices. I am not quite sure if I remember the price but I think it was around $320 for the 2 x 2. I think the base was extra. It is very close to that of the Raptor. One of our advisory board members liked the Raptor so that is why we purchased it. I don't know why you cannot get the full 90 degrees of travel. Is this just from a manual move or a program that was posted out? We are now off for the summer but I will take a trip down to school to check on those parameters to limit travel. You can also control this in Mastercam itself. As far as the movement goes and not holding position that really sounds like a Haas problem. When we first had ours setup the tech said we would have to offset the A by 1.439 degrees because when it was on A0 it was not indicating flat. Eventually we got it in the correct position with a call into support.

Tom

i use the stuff karlo puts out for his multiax class, in my class. he has so many examples there, it makes going thru the curricula i use a breeze. i have combined the multiax part of the getting started series with some of my own stuff. if anyone wants to see what i have done, i can share with no problems. in PDF form though, the size is 16 megs. let me know if you want it emailed or put on the ftp site.

Hello I am interested please. could share with me?