Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

loss of posts and MC stuff do to being on the C: drive

Jayson Kramer

I know this is the knew way but now after loosing my New SSD drive and losing all the OS you lose all the posts and cofigs and so on for MCX5 ans MCX6. I have always had another drive for cad and Cam software. but with this new system config. I am not saving anything due to all the importan stuff is on the Main drive under windows.

So my lesson now learned is to make a back up image of the main drive as I have now been screwed by this.

Folks I would think about this these days. all my important files and docs and all my customer files are on the servers so I am not losing that stuff and I even added a backup NAS server to the system.

But I did lose allot of emails I wanted and some stuff that I just had on my computer, So I am bummed. over $200. more and new drive and updating now. the old drive was about 5 to 6 months old.

Ok enough of my rant

PS Back up your post and configs from my Docs

When I switched to an SSD drive I added a 450 gb Velociraptor for storage.

All my posts., libraries, customer files and archives are of the storage drive.

As added security, my C drive gets backed up to the storage drive daily

and the essential C drive stuff, my posts and customer files get backed up to Mozy in the cloud.

Does all this work?? don't know .. so far I haven't had to test it.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Every friday evening I back up to an external drive, 2x per week (Tue. And Fri.) I have a batch file that copies essential folders alocation on my platter HDD,one day a week I copy essential files to an external HDD, plus I have carbonite.

Should be sufficient even if my laptop gets stolen.

We keep all the MC files, configs, posts and tools on a little 1U linux server, dual 320G WD Blues in raid 1. Still not fool proof but I feel better knowing it is on 2 drives and it isn't on a windows machine :)

Jay I have heard bad things about failure rates on SSD's, it scares me. I don't trust them 100%. You would think they would be as reliable as ram but they are evidently falling short.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Husherr, I'm guessing you're taling about Irroring? if so, yeah yu can do that.

I had a new one go bad n y wife's laptop once. STILL worth the price of admisson just backup r image n a regular basis. been doing that for my platter drives fr ens. There's two types of HDD's, those that have failed, and thoose that will. :D

Well Ron has said all.. I have all these tools and this has been the only thing I have not done was backup my main drive. well now I am setting up and have added a a 4 terabyte Nas to my network to backup the server files and adding my C and E drives. I have another on my desk now to do do some backups and I like the thought that Tom stated as I do run three drives on desk top so going to back up the MC stuff from C to F not. The servers main drives run in Raid all ready.

Husker yes you can, I am thinking about it.