Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ATI Card

Jadot

I have a Dell laptop (Inspiron 5000e)

It has a 16mg ATI vedio card.

I deleted the gl drivers from the MC directory and everything runs fine. I was reminded of this issue because I just recieved my copy of V8.1.

When I did the instal, it put those drivers back in.

I was having all kinds of problem till I remembered to delete those 2 files.

Thank you. Works like a dream now on my Dell Inspiron 3800.

gcode, did you ever use you dell laptop and a port replicator ( docking station ) with a dongle ( HASP ), or any other laptop with a port replicator.

I'm thinking of buying a Dock for my Dell 3800 , but want to make sure that my dongle will work plugged into the docking station.

Allan,

I have to disagree. I use a docking station for my Dell laptop at work. The HASP has always worked and never given me any trouble.

I have a Mastercam HASP and a Predator CNC HASP. I plug them into the printer port as a chain and both software programs run fine.

The docking station has a built in network card which I use for my DSL connection.

I use my laptop in 3 configurations.

Docked ( in the office at work)

Intel Wireless Network card (at home)

Network card (to hook to a 100 ft DSL line

when I've got my laptop out on the shop floor)

I had some trouble getting the machine to boot up in the right mode at the right time.

The trick was to set up seperate hardware profiles for the wireless network card and the regular network card.

The docking station is the defualt mode.

If I boot the machine when its not in the docking station, it asks me whether to boot

in wireless mode or network card mode.

When I'm on the road I leave my network card

in the slot. I found out the hard way that if you start the machine out of the docking station and without the network or wireless card it creates a third clean profile and

screws up the three real profiles.

The only trouble I've had is I can't get the

RS-232 communications to the machine tools to work. I don't know if its a software setting or a conflict with the serial port on the back of the port replicator. I havn't had time to troubleshoot the issue.

I don't have any printers installed in my Docking Station profile. Perhaps thats why

my HASP works with a docking station.

I do have a printer installed in my Wireless network profile and I have used the printer in that mode while my MC HASP was plugged into the printer port on the laptop.

As a side note, the Intel wireless network was more trouble than it was worth when I

had a dail up connection at home. I recently

got a DSL line at home and the wireless connection to my laptop works like a dream.

Hope this helps

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. I got my docking station on the way.

Unlike you , I use only one boot config and use the laptop on the shop floor when sending files to the control so I won't be using RS232 through the dock.

Will use the dock only in the office which I'm trying to stay away from.There is nothing better than using MasterCam and laptop on the shop floor. I get to do some machine setups and actually run some parts. Alot more fun than just sit in the CAD/CAM room like I use to. Plus the screen is soooo much easier on the eyes. I can go for 12 hours looking at the notebook TFT screen , where after eight hours on my SONY 19" my eyes would itch like crazy. Even with the new monitors and video cards capable of 100MHz refresh rate, my eyes go bad after few hours.

For anybody still using CRT monitors, go get a flat screen. They don't have a refresh rates and do not emit any radiation.And the picture quality....well, laser sharp.