Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

flats? or faccets?

Marty A

good morning all

i asked this question a while ago. i'm having trouble with converting these (i call them flats).

i have tried converting these lines every way the help said but they still stay flats. these are unigraphic or ug files.i posted a file called marty's flats (i finally figured out how to do this) in the mc8 files, this detail is being done in v8.1.1. the profile i want to mill is in red. notice that a straight line will be little short lines instead of one long good line.

notice how the arcs are like little flats instead of a nice smooth arc. forget about getting any help here i'm always told that's the way it is, and seeing i,m still new at this well i'm sorta on my own. sooooooooooooo as always i thank you all for the help and every one have a good day.

cheers.gif marty cheers.gif

i know that in the past i have converted arcs to lines but i'm not sure you can convert lines to arcs.

depending on how complex and what kind tol. you r working with, can you do this?

create points at the end points of the small lines then create a spline thru the points generating an arc. then convert the spline to

geocurv?

wink.gif

Well I would have to agree with John Summers on that one. I get 3d files in all the time that are iges files and I go to another Layer and will create my geomontry from the original file then I will turn of the origianl to have the desired toolpath. I am sorry to say that all programs have these types of things happen not just your unigraphics. It is something I have just worked around to get the job done.

I also would think about not being so negative about asking help from people in here also. It may seem like you not but let me tell you from experience if they think you are all help goes out the window.

quote:

forget about getting any help here i'm always told that's the way it is, and seeing i,m still new at this well i'm sorta on my own.

Keep talking like that and you will be.

I am learning good to have an opinion but be careful who you xxxx off around here.

Good luck I put what I was saying up for you to look at took me about 8 minutes to do it. File is Millman Flats

Crazy Millman

Hi Marty

Could screen change Attr. be what your looking for?

I used it on your file.

Sceen /change attr./same ---click on a solid line---

then hold left and right mouse buttons down at the same time and it will change any dotted looking copious data the cross hairs touch to solid lines.

There will still be little line segments, but that would be the way the UG converter(person) intented for this file to be exported.

Mastercam will read anybodies file because that's it's job, if the file is a pile that maybe from the originator's seat.

Scott's free advise teh' if a rash developes discontinue use

[ 08-11-2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Well I would have to say that scott must of been the only one besides me to llok at the file and see that this file it a 2d file.

Most of the lines were using lin style of Hidden.

So all you have to do is

"Screen"

"Chg Attribs"

Check the box that says line Style.

Then set that to solid hit "OK"

the say "ALL" "Color "9"

this will change all the color blue to solid lines.

do the same with the red being color 12.

quote:

just for my sake of sanity, in mc, can you convert splines to arcs?

If you have a lot of splines on your part chances are you have an iges surface modle. When I get these I convert them to a parasolid ,,then convert them back as a parasolid(write one then read the same one back in) ..

A Parasolid will make lines and arcs where ever lines and arcs exist on your modle, the the differance will be splines or spline type of stuff.

Yes, if it is an arc MC can make it as an arc.

And

No,, Simply look at your modle, any thing that is not a "peice of a circle" will be a spline . I used The Break splines into arcs feature ,at a time when MC couldn't cut a contour if it had slines in it. We had to break our splined data into arcs and lines just to make the shape. I really havn't used it lately.