Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ghost Entities

JAMMAN

Been doing surface repair all day, bouncing between levels creating geo, surfaces, trimming, curving, recreating...

Now I have a bunch of levels with one or two entities on them that do not show on the screen. In 9 I determined it was data leftovers from trimmed surfaces, but shouldn't that be cured in X6+? What exactly is going on and how do the pros skate by it.

I know I could "un name" them and make them disappear but I wonder what is really there and how to really get rid of it.

Now I have a bunch of levels with one or two entities on them that do not show on the screen

Those entities are "blanked",... they are still there but you don't see them.

Just like Mark suggested don't delete them because they are associated to the trimmed surfaces you have created. (big time bad juju) :blink:

It is so messy having a gob of levels that are not needed showing.

You could move all the blanked geom to a level all their own.

AND why can't the "base" follow the "real" when you move surfaces to different levels?

Because when they're blanked they don't get selected when move stuff from one level to another.

Much respect for Mark & Cjep, but I right click on those levels in the levels manager & click delete. That will get rid of them. I have never had a problem.

After reading what the other suggested, in your situation, I would make SURE I have a backup of the file before deleting the blanked out geo.

:edit:

Backup should be enabled anyway (in the sys config). I would not do anything in Mcam without backup being enabled.

Much respect for Mark & Cjep, but I right click on those levels in the levels manager & click delete. That will get rid of them. I have never had a problem.

After reading what the other suggested, in your situation, I would make SURE I have a backup of the file before deleting the blanked out geo.

:edit:

Backup should be enabled anyway (in the sys config). I would not do anything in Mcam without backup being enabled.

I never enable backup. I'm a rebel!

But during development of new products I save the file at each level of creation with a new name that way if I take a wrong turn I can go back to the last drawing that was on the right path and recover. I usually end up with 15 to 25 drawings between the points originally taken and a finished model.

I tried the delete thing and it worked just fine for this particular project, thank you. Would like to know how to select blanked entities though just to see what they are at some point.

I never enable backup. I'm a rebel!

But during development of new products I save the file at each level of creation with a new name that way if I take a wrong turn I can go back to the last drawing that was on the right path and recover. I usually end up with 15 to 25 drawings between the points originally taken and a finished model.

I tried the delete thing and it worked just fine for this particular project, thank you. Would like to know how to select blanked entities though just to see what they are at some point.

^^^ what you describe is EXACTLY what backup does for you automatically.

Turn all levels on, hit control + A (select all), then goto

-screen

-unblank entity

Having "Back-up Files" turned on would do this automatically ( yes, it has saved some folks bacon )

"I right click on those levels in the levels manager & click delete. That will get rid of them. I have never had a problem."

Often times it will work, but NEVER delete them if "association" message pops out. It will screw up your trimmed surfaces and all toolpaths associated with them.

I don't think I'd want them un-blanked, they'll likely look like crap anyway. The only time I'd want it is to copy/trim/extend them... and use them to get creative driving my toolpaths.