Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trim curves to plane or surface in X6

Bill Cronkhite

NOTW Programmer, I am using X5 and dont have the trim option inside the create curves menu...any ideas where that option is for X5? TIA

Same result, don't have the trim option inside the create curves menu. I remember using create point, trim and I cant remember the rest, but that was in 9.1. Shows how long ago I used this.

Jay. Actually all three types. Project is the workaround I've been using. Create a surface at the plane I need, project to that surface then trim to the projected curve. Problem is what I'm up against now is a 3d profile surface and i cant get a good projection to it.

Don't really know how to upload a sample, but I'll work on it.

Hi Bill, well I cranked up V9.1 Demo and tried Create, Point, Surf Project, but it does not give you an option to select a curve at all... only to select a surface and then a point that you would want to project onto that surface. So I think you were thinking of Create, Point, Slice. That works as you described in the post above.

There is good news and bad news. The good news is that you can do basically the same thing in X6 with Create, Curve, Slice. The bad news is that you cannot select a 3D surface to create a point against..... but in fact you could not select a 3D surface in V9 either! Only flat surfaces will work because what you are really doing is defining a plane with your surface, not actually using the surface itself.

Anyway, FYI in X6....

1) Select Create, Curve, Slice. You pick the curve, then go to the top left side of the Ribbon Bar and press the Plane button.

2) In there is the option to set a plane "by entity" (button shows a circle and a single black point plus two lines and three black points). Press that button and then select your flat surface (you'll see what happens if you select a surface that isn't flat, and the same message comes up in V9).

3) After selecting the surface (you'll see the white diamond & arrow combination) press the green check on the Plane dialog box. Then press Apply or OK in the Ribbon Bar to create your intersecting point.

4) Oh yes, no trimming option either sorry!

Finally, if you are convinced that you could select a 3D surface back in V9, then it must have been a different option and sorry for wasting your time!

Here is what I do if I want to trim a wireframe entity to a surface. In this pic I want to trim the blue line drawn at a random angle to this curved surface.

post-30600-0-79057500-1350400607_thumb.jpg

Create, curve, slice.

Click the 2nd icon from the left on the create curve ribbon bar.

Then I click the line icon (see orange arrow in next pic)("flat" splines & arcs will also work, but you need to pick the "entity" icon, 2 below the line icon the orange arrow points to), then click the line and the white plane thing with the arrow sitcking out of it appears on the line. (see pic)

post-30600-0-22154100-1350401041_thumb.jpg

Green check out of the plane selection window, select the surface, hit enter. You should see a curve appear on the surface. Green check out of the create curve ribbon bar.

You can then trim the original line to the newly created curve.

Different curves/lines/arcs/splines will also work, but you may need to make a new active C/T plane depending on specific situations.

HTH!

^^Rick, you're right. wouldn't work with a 3D surface then either. Just getting desperate i guess. Your suggestion will get me there. Many thanks.

^K2... Also should work for what I need. I appreciate the help. Seems like when you think you have it all down someone comes up with something new and exciting to deal with. Thanks again.