Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TS27R contact tool setting probe

gmenzies

• 4 weeks later...

Currently using that style reinshaw touch off probe TS27R in our new toyoda Vmc. It works good for getting u close if your not worried about .002 plus or minus on your touch offs. In order to get a accurate touch off you have to blend your cutter to a established surface and adjust for it in your lenght offset page for finishing tools you can't afford to be making cuts too deep. I personally thought it would be at least within .001 at most being its a reinshaw probe. But we just order a new part pick up probe and laser touch off system from reinshaw hoping for tighter tolerances on the tool touch offs..and decreased set up times with the part probe. Hth..

We currently run the TS27 probe on a Okuma P200 control with no issues. I have not seen the .002 tol band a few are mentioning. Is your probe tip touch face parallel to the table? Actually I've consistantly seen less than .0005 and repeatability 1/2 that. Had to fab up a guard to protect the probe from operators & their out of control chip brushes & brooms! Other than that no issues after install. Renishaw for what ever reason shipped the unit without a steel jacket over the wiring. I ended up just ordering a 12' length from Grainger to cover the cable, also added a loop & spring hanger in the celing of the machine to help with the wire tension.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again

so we installed the touch probe on our Fadal . works as described . when we bought the probe. I asked if the diameter values would be stored in the tool table when setting tools.

I was told no. that was good. unfortunalty it does store them in the tool table and I have to go in and delete the value. the reason I do not want any values is for cutter comp.

usally its only a .001 or .002 value that is input for wear.

So does anyone know how to have the probe offset the tool when setting lenghts and not have the control save the values?

we are using the built in macro for setting tools.

thanks

I just got off the phone with the vendor that sold us the probe. it appears that the built in macro stores the diameter value. They offered to allow me to return the probe , as it was there mistake in that the value would not be stored. we have decided to keep the probe. it adds a level of consitant accuracy we did not have inthe past. I will have to put a big sticky on the machine :pc: to jog my memory to delete those values when using cutter comp.

I just got off the phone with the vendor that sold us the probe. it appears that the built in macro stores the diameter value. They offered to allow me to return the probe , as it was there mistake in that the value would not be stored. we have decided to keep the probe. it adds a level of consitant accuracy we did not have inthe past. I will have to put a big sticky on the machine :pc: to jog my memory to delete those values when using cutter comp.

There is other macro program for it, If you only want to measure the height offset.

Currently using that style reinshaw touch off probe TS27R in our new toyoda Vmc. It works good for getting u close if your not worried about .002 plus or minus on your touch offs. In order to get a accurate touch off you have to blend your cutter to a established surface and adjust for it in your lenght offset page for finishing tools you can't afford to be making cuts too deep. I personally thought it would be at least within .001 at most being its a reinshaw probe. But we just order a new part pick up probe and laser touch off system from reinshaw hoping for tighter tolerances on the tool touch offs..and decreased set up times with the part probe. Hth..

Not sure why you would have a .002 variance? Is your probe level? Is it mounted solid? Are the jack screws snug? I use the auto-length rotating for any tool 1/2" and up. Everything else gets touched off center. I never have to worry about blends. And my tool length is always dead-on.

Not sure why you would have a .002 variance? Is your probe level? Is it mounted solid? Are the jack screws snug? I use the auto-length rotating for any tool 1/2" and up. Everything else gets touched off center. I never have to worry about blends. And my tool length is always dead-on.

yeah we actually had to get a new probe a few weeks back for ours quit on us but we installed it indicated it in flat within .0002 re callibrateed it and still get a .002 variance with tools..its not a big deal if you are aware of it but I would like to get it tighter if its possible.. I too touch off all my tools in the same manner as you described abouve.. anything 1/2 or above use the auto rotating feature and drills and smaller cutters touch off on center..

That seems like a lot to me. I realize this is a new probe... but did you reuse the old stylus? Is the surface of the probe flat? After repeated use there will be a dimple that develops in the center. I surface grind ours when this happens. Have had to do this like 3 times in the 5 1/2 years I have been here. It causes pointed tools and ballnose endmills to be off a couple thou.

If you touch off the same tool a few times how well does it repeat?

That seems like a lot to me. I realize this is a new probe... but did you reuse the old stylus? Is the surface of the probe flat? After repeated use there will be a dimple that develops in the center. I surface grind ours when this happens. Have had to do this like 3 times in the 5 1/2 years I have been here. It causes pointed tools and ballnose endmills to be off a couple thou.

If you touch off the same tool a few times how well does it repeat?

no its all brand new and parellel to the table. all tools will repeat within .0002 sometimes not changing at all. so Im not sure where the .002 margin is coming from..machine is less than a yr old as well..its a toyoda fv1680..

It could be a lot of things. On my VF2 I have noticed it is for some reason a very accurate machine (yes, I know this is rare). It will repeat close tolerances even when first powered up in the mornings. I have ran it day in and day out for 5 years so I may be a bit spoiled. I do notice we get a little variance on our Mazak though. So maybe it is just the machine. But even so, I don't think we see a .002" error from tool to tool.