Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A little trouble with Opticore (anyone seen this before)?

neurosis

Rick - If that's your definition of a gouge, I'd hate to see your definition of a crash :lol:

Haha! ya, this is a pretty major issue. That is close to 1.5" deep and over 200ipm so something tells me that the endmill wouldnt survive it. :help:

I am not sure what is causing it. I have about three different dash numbers of very similar parts. They are all very quirky with the opti paths for some reason. They are solids pulled out of solidworks. The paths seems to act very strangely around the side walls. Like it is trying to avoid them for some reason (in Z). Almost like there is an imaginary wall sticking up above them.

I sent a file in to my VAR but I havent heard back from them. I am not even sure that they have received the file yet.

With the weather over in CT, I doubt that I will hear anything from anyone at CNC this week. I'd like to make sure that it is not something to do with the model or something outside of Mastercam that is causing the issue before I start bothering QC with this.

Neuro, I have sent in a few files demonstrating the same issue as your part. The MU patches never fixed it. It happens only now and then with optirough, but you better keep your eyes open. I wouldn't count on them fixing it. The last two MU releases and past history doesn't give me any confidence whatsoever.

• Like 1

Neuro, I have sent in a few files demonstrating the same issue as your part. The MU patches never fixed it. It happens only now and then with optirough, but you better keep your eyes open. I wouldn't count on them fixing it. The last two MU releases and past history doesn't give me any confidence whatsoever.

I hear you Peon. Ive been experiencing a TON of minor bugs even with X6 MU2. I havent been bringing them up because most have been annoyances and inconveniences. I have definitely encountered some that I considered to be more than a minor issue. This bug here (if it is a bug) is a show stopper. Its dangerous if you miss it. I am surprised that I have not run in to this before. I use these paths every day.

It thought that this might have something to do with the sold model but I converted the solid to surfaces and it reacts exactly the same.

Neurosis - can you humor me and do the following:

-Start a new level and turn off your old level with the current solid on it.

-Go to File>Merge> and pick your Solidworks file, but before hitting OK, go into the options and tell it to do surfaces and wireframe.

-Reselect all the geometry using surfaces instead of solids, and see if you still get the weirdness? (Instead of creating surfaces from the solid)

As for that little, ahem, "gouge" - you just need one of these:

:harhar:

• Like 1

First I would like to start by saying.. Holy friggen $hit!

I tried what you said and it made no difference. The path reacted exactly the same. I guess that I could try saving it as a parasolid or step and bring it in.

It does appear that this will need to go to QC.

Neurosis - can you humor me and do the following:

-Start a new level and turn off your old level with the current solid on it.

-Go to File>Merge> and pick your Solidworks file, but before hitting OK, go into the options and tell it to do surfaces and wireframe.

-Reselect all the geometry using surfaces instead of solids, and see if you still get the weirdness? (Instead of creating surfaces from the solid)

As for that little, ahem, "gouge" - you just need one of these:

:harhar:

Neuro - does it path ok in X5?

Also, wonder if it's anything to do with either the fillet rad, or something to do with the fillet rad being 'produced' (roughed) with a square corner tool that it doesn't like?

Lastly, why run with optimize cut order unchecked? I've never done that as I arse-u-me that optimize is the way to go???

Neuro - does it path ok in X5?

Also, wonder if it's anything to do with either the fillet rad, or something to do with the fillet rad being 'produced' (roughed) with a square corner tool that it doesn't like?

Lastly, why run with optimize cut order unchecked? I've never done that as I arse-u-me that optimize is the way to go???

I havent tried it in X5 so I am not sure. Maybe i will try it tomorrow.

The endmill is not sharp cornered, but it is only a .03 c/r. That shouldnt have any affect though. Remember when Opti path didnt have corner radius support at all?

I use this path with "optimize cut order" un-checked quite a bit actually. I would have to give you some examples for you to understand why, but short story, some times it is faster to race around the outside of a tower than looping back in a single area over and over. This part is not an example of what I would try it on, but now I am afraid to use it at all after seeing what it is capable of doing. ;(

A few or many months from now we will all forget

about X6 problems.

I wont even make an attempt at X7 until I get LOTS of feedback. X6 burned me out on trying a new version right out of the gate.

Yup....I still haven't upgraded to X6 becuase of things like this....

Please try it on X5 - I'll be interested to know.

:cheers:

I pulled the solid straight from solidworks in to X5. I ran the path (optirough with use core passes checked) using all of the same settings as in X6. I ran it both with and without "optimize cut order" checked.

X5 ran the path beautifully without any issues.

It also was able to run the path using the entire solid model rather than just being able to select the top surfaces. Meaning that when I selected the entire model it did not try to avoid the sides in Z as I showed in my posts earlier.

http://www.emasterca...70

http://www.emasterca...70

Ok, I think that I have figured out what the issue is. This is NOT an issue in X5 MU1.

I spent some time adjusting the z depth limits. Once the z depth limit number was equal to the amount of stock being left (stock to leave on floors), it would cause the tool path to bug out. In the case of this part, I was leaving .015 stock on the walls and the floor. I had my z depth limit set to .325, which would be .015 above the floor. If I lowered or raised the z depth limit the tool path would generate fine.

Does anyone that works for CNC want this file?

http://youtu.be/V9Lze1cGboo