Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3+2 planes setup, new to a 5 axis machine

DavidSV

The owner of the company has bought a "5 axis mill". I put that in quotes because he really don't understand that its really a 4+1 or 3+2 machine and not a full 5 axis mill. Its a small trunion machine with a 8" table. I have got a quote from MLC-CAD for a machine definition and post for it, but I have just been messing around in MC to try to figure out how to program and set it up. At my last job we added a 4th axis to a vertical mill and I programmed that using tool planes and just rotated about X to get my diffrent rotations. I really had no training on that, so I was just winging it. How do you setup tool planes for 3+2? is there a tutorial for it somewhere? We are going to setup a training session through our reseller, but I really don't even know what to ask them about yet.

Thanks

David

You just missed our FREE webinar last wed showing how to set this up on a trunion style machine.. we will be posting this soon . this will give you some Ideas of setting 3+2 setup.Do you know how to use the Dynamic WCS or Dynamic Planes this will make life much easer. Also setting these up on your right click option along with Named views and View Manager would be a good start. More to come for sure.

There are a lot of different ways to create tool planes for 3+2 machining. Dynamic planes, planes by solid face, planes by geometry, planes by normal, and planes rotate are some of the options I use most frequently. If you are going to be drilling holes I strongly recommend you download the verisurf hole axis c-hook its a free add-on you get when you download verisurf tools. Just remember when creating tool planes to output rotation moves leave WCS set to top and only change your tool and construction planes. If you have a file to share and you want some additional help shoot me an email I'll point you in the right direction

an ol friend called and needed a hand.... he bought a new computer and needed to get a re+pete job up and running.... i jumped in loaded Masrtcam. I got as far as updating the post, then a couple network settings wouldn't let me overwrite the config files an before I knew it the setup guy on the floor was ready for the program and his operator was waiting around for a 1st article..... what a mess. 2) inspectors, setup machinist, operator all waiting for this hot job! Ever heard the expression "a quarter waiting on a dime"? That was fun!

.........i forgot a lot on setting up some of these definitions..... :pc:

ive never set up a 3+2.... but ill check out that webinar if its posted.

.........id be lucky if he calls me back.

:chip teh still un-3mployed:

So I loaded the Haas trunion machine definition and post into Mastercam so I could play around with it. It seems like if I create a plane off the geometry that when posted the code just automajically comes out at the correct angles. I guess what is confusing to me is that when I load that view in MC the part is at a weird angle that is not like it would be in the machine. Does this make sense?

When you're first starting out, Planes/Rotate is a good way to define the Tool Planes you'll need.

Start with Top plane and rotate it about the X or Y axis to get the angles you need.

Compound angles will require 2 rotations..

a good way to check that your tool plane is valid is Analyze/Dynamic

With your new toolplane active , use Analyze/Dynamic to test the surface you are trying to cut.

If your toolplane is valid, Analyze/Dyanamic will return Flat and 90°.

If it doesn't return 90°, something is wrong with your toolplane