Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using the Stock Model in Multiple Operations.

This is how I use stock model and have it follow my part throughout the operations. I also use it for Vericut Stock Origins.

I'll start with my tombstone, fixtures, part and stock boundaries. I created my normal wcs's for the op's that reference wherever I chose.

Here she sits:

STOCK1.jpg

Now this is the trick.

I create a new wcs called "Op1 Stock Origin". This needs to reference a point on the part that makes sense to you. I create a "point" and select it for my wcs. In this case I selected this hole.

STOCK2.jpg

Now you need to create a stock model that references this wcs. Set up your stock size and don't select any operations for the stock model. I usually name it like "Op1 Starting Stock".

Now you should have the stock showing like so:

STOCK3.jpg

Create all your Operations and then create a new Stock Model named "Op1 Final". Use the same wcs and now reference the first stock model and select all the operations for that Op. You should have a beautiful stock model representing the part as finished in that Op.

STOCK4.jpg

Now for the fun part.

In this case the part is now on the backside (B180) of the tombstone and rotated 90Deg like so:

STOCK5.jpg

Now we need to create a dynamic wcs and select the same hole feature and make sure our x,y,z are at the correct orientation to the part as our "Op1 Stock Origin" WCS was.

You can see the "Op1 Stock Origin' WCS in this pic:

STOCK6.jpg

And "Op60 Stock Origin" in this pic:

STOCK7.jpg

Now we need to create another stock model that references the "Op60 Stock Origin" and for the intital shape the "Op1 final" stock model. Don't select any actual operations.

We should end up with this stock model translated to the new position and full associativity to the first stock model. You can do this through as many op's as needed. Best part is if you have Vericut and reference these stock model wcs's in the Vericut interface it will flow all the way through.....

STOCK8.jpg

LMK if you have any questions.

-Josh

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Very nice illustration Josh. I was playing with the stock model last night and I had problems with the stock model wanting

to stay permanantly displayed. How do you toggle the on and off of the stock model?

Toggle the "toolpath" of the model in the Ops Mgr

Josh, thank you VERY much for this tutorial. I just used it on my eApprentice assignment and it works great!!! When I initially read this post I didn't follow it very well because I had never used the stock model toolpath. Now I will use it in every program I make. And with this tutorial multiple vise and rotary operations will look so much better.

Anyway, thanks again. Very nice post.

• 11 months later...

Sure I may have 20 or 60 parts on some of my tombstone work. They can be the same material or they could be 60 different stocks. Trick it at that point to save out as an STL file and then use that file to build the stock model from. I have even gone as far to do my tombstones, clamps, bolts and other things so when I go to Verify or even simulation I can see everything. Here is one example I recently did for a customer.

HTH

Nice work Ron, I see you pushing the limits of machine sim.

Well it is all things you could bring into machine sim with using levels inside of Mastercam. Thing is they all come in color. By doing it this way I get I can use my colors for the items I want. Sorry I like options and the current method gets it done, but this method gives the visual impact I am looking for to show my customers I am willing to go the extra mile needed to help them be successful in what they do moving forward without me. I need repeat work to keep food on the table, but if I get any of my customers to the point they do not need me then I feel I have done my job. I do not even include stuff like this in the quote and should be charging an arm and leg since it does give them so much more abilities, but it all works out in the end.