Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cleaning machines.

What are you guys using to clean their machines internally? Plain water, soapy water, special chemicals? I just finished a aluminum job where the parts were crystallizing in a short time. Nasty coolant with a low mix was the culprit, but the coolant seems highly acidic. I fix the mix and it worked. Growth / crystallizing is taking place slowly and corroding everything, looks green like a copper patina, pushing up covers here and there, rusting everything. Machine has grease ways.

MCM - we do as per Jeff (actually got a wash gun teed into the internal machine wash so use that).

Clean the machine, dump the coolant, clean the tank and swap t osomething else! We use Stuart Oils Dascosol which is great for everything and havent cleaned a machine out in 6+ years of using. Just replenish as needed.

HTH

Go to MSC

Coolant , cleaning supplies.

Whamax - For cleaning machines, sump pumps.

Follow directions, doesn't take much. Wear gloves (like for dishwashing.)

Dump old coolant

Clean sump tank, and high pressure filter tanks. Clean old filters but dont replace yet.

Run whamax cleaner per directions for 2-4 hrs. All sprays are on.

Drain, rinse and flush with water.(all the lines) Change the filters.

drain and recharge with coolant to 7% concentration. (get a coolant gage if you dont have one.)

Your machine is now clean.

machineguy

I change out coolant every year. I run all kinds of materials that effect the coolant differently. Plus it keep the PH in line.

One more thing, the water does make a difference. Hard water keeps the coolant from working to its full potential.

Some coolants are affected by green metals. We use Hangsterfer's SC-500 and have to use an additive when cutting anything with copper. Some of their other formulas are compatible with green metals, but we can only run what has been approved by the plant. That said, the Hangsterfer's coolant does a very nice job of dissolving gunk so a wash down with coolant is all our machines need.

I use tubing hooked up to a coolant line as well. Works well if you rinse on a regular basis. I usually do this after a few jobs. I don't even like seeing chips on the wall.

A coworker of mine waits until bricks have formed and you need a chisel to break them free. This is the problem machine. I run that particular machine about once every two months and it's always the same. Gotta clean the tool holders, collets, magazine pockets, spindle, filters and so on. I can't stand grime, and this thing is a pig pen. He claims it looks like he's been doing battle and keeps managers satisfied. Now he's getting nervous as parts are coming off the machine F-ed up.

i've used a machine cleaner additive solution from Goldenwest. run it temporarily before a complete change out.

had a Valinite Rep say that the chlorides in city water will build up over time so it is a good idea to dump and refill.