Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

can someone tell me the difference between

are you sitting down?

$1600

:laughing:

I was expecting $800-$1000, but $1600, wow. I guess if you think about it, given the low volume, the size of the raw material, etc. The price is probably quite a bit better than what you'd pay to have a similar part made by a good shop.

Something tells manufacturers are not doing high volume on these holders. Also remember, the distributor is probably stepping on them 30+%.

Mike

I'm having that conversation right now.. can't buy them direct and there are 2 guys between me and the factory

so far the Sandvik Capto lineup is looking pretty good

how much to swap in a cat 50 spindle and use mostly existing holders in the shop already???

Prob 60K minimum. That would be a lot of holders. Not to mention 50taper is not going to have near the performance of HSK125. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

Mike

15 er32 x 1600= $24k

10 assored endmill holders= $16k

how much to swap in a cat 50 spindle and use mostly existing holders in the shop already???

I already asked that question.. not only would you have to swap out the spindle, you'd have to

rework the 170 station tool magazine and tool changing system

G, are you gonna be making parts that use a ton of tools? Or will it be mostly roughing and finishing impeller stuff? It's funny thinking about some of the jobs we do that take 50+ tools, and then imagining asking the customer for $80,000 to get it set up. :laughing:

Nice, hopefully you'll have time to use it!

Mike

I will use it on ever line of code I create until I learn to trust the new post and become familiar with it's quirks.

The parts I'm programming are at the limits of the machines travel.

My dealer's post is not complete and I'l using one supplied by Okuma.

It leaves a lot to be desired and I don't think they put any time into axis flipping/reorientation stuff.

The other day I noticed it was flipping the B axis 180° right in the middle of a cut without a retract move.

I can see most of this stuff in CimcoEdit backplot and I think I've got it all working correctly now

but there is a lot to be said for that comfortable feeling you get when you get a green light from Vericut.

I've got a pretty good Mastercam machine built for MachineSim ( hat tip to Yo Doug) and it is extrememly useful

but it's still running NCI, not gcode.

The boss gagged at the Vericut quote yesterday, but I suggest he compare that to the cost of a spindle

rebuild and the assciated downtime. He signed it off without a word.

The boss gagged at the Vericut quote yesterday, but I suggest he compare that to the cost of a spindle

rebuild and the assciated downtime. He signed it off without a word.

Yeah I would consider it a must on something like that. You already had a seat though didn't you?

Mike

Tom, just getting back to this thread. Yeah is does cost money, but if you get a 50% reduction in cycle times you paid for the holders and the machine in 2 years. Not a bad ROI if you ask me. I also see an influx of working coming as well. Cetain industries are in a downturn, but your shop has a good niche and it should keep thing going well for some years to come.