Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Overlapping Pockets

enortuc

On almost a daily basis I have to write several programs where I have two pockets at different Z heights and they overlap each other. I have tried several different ways to cut this in one operation with out any success. So I always have to do two operations. If anybody can help me out with an idea or the answer to my issue that would be great. The material i am cutting is wood and usually ranges between an 1" to 1-1/2" in height - the pockets are usually about a 1/4" different in height and overlap each other by different dimensions. I need to cut from the outside in this is very important. I have attched a file showing and example of what I normally do and my problem. The two pockets on the left (operation 1 and 2) are what I normally do. The boxes on the right (operation 3) are my result whe i try to cut in one operation. I have tried dynamic are and area under 2d highspeed paths but they both start from the center and work out. Again if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

OVERLAP POCKETS.MCX-6

Hii Radical

I appreciate what you did but it is not the result that I am looking for. What I am trying to accomplish is the result I get from operation 1 and 2 (refer to my original file) in one operation. Also sometimes this is not located on the edge of the part but could be in the middle. Reason being i get parts that will have several overlapping pockets that need to be mortised out and I would like to select them all and set my depth to incramental in one operation instead of having to write an operation for every pocket which can be time consuming.

Hii Radical

What I am trying to accomplish is the result I get from operation 1 and 2 (refer to my original file) in one operation... I would like to select them all and set my depth to incremental in one operation instead of having to write an operation for every pocket which can be time consuming.

I do not think you can do what you are asking in one operation... and here is the problem.

Attached is a file where I have selected two contours in one pocketing operation. It does exactly what it is intended to do, which is machine the first contour as a pocket... then, use the second contour as an island to avoid.

You also say writing them separately is "time consuming," but it shouldn't be.

Write the first pocket program and set your incremental depth to Z0... then, right click and drag that operation down a bit... release it... and select "copy after."

Then, click on the geometry for the copied operation and re-select the other geometry.

Bam... you are done... simple.

• 1 month later...

LL Cool Jay ! lol

It's chaining the first pocket as an a contour and the second as a pocket. Am I seeing that right ? I will use this.....:)

I added several more overlapping pockets on top and it works great if you chain the uppers as open. Niiiice

Yep. The difference is in the open chain on the top pocket. It just goes to show how there is never ending learning here. I have been a user since v7 and have never seen that little tip in classes or work.

:cheers:

I hope he re reads this post , it's just what he needs

Reko, by default for me I do like you said pick one and then copy and past fast and easy.

But what I have found for years is that Mastercam is more flexible then most know. I have gotten it to do things over the years were it throw errors at me on the screen and push forward to actually get the code the way I wanted.It really hit me back in version 5.5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

have you considered creating default operations the way you want them and import them and just add a chain for each pocket. I know its still multiple operations but if you are doing the exact same thing day in and out seems like this would be faster then manually recreating the operation over and over.