Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

curve 5 axis gouging ?

MrFish

Why am I getting these gouges / steps in the finish on the curved walls of this mould insert ?

I was trying to save having to z level finish it and used a curve 5 axis toolpath to generate the 1deg walls. Please see file on ftp site in x6 files folder, titled "curve 5 axis gouging".

The vectors/toolpath look good in mastercam and the graphics in vericut look good, even with the tolerances wound up nice and tight so i am thinking it might be a machine issue ? although it does run nice and smooth at the machine, no jerky motion or pausing - Machine is a DMG DMU 60 monoblock.

Am I missing something in my toolpath settings ?

Thanks

post-25701-0-37757600-1362972508_thumb.jpg

post-25701-0-51108500-1362972543_thumb.jpg

post-25701-0-20951300-1362972576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

5X curve is not the correct toolpath for this part.

It just follows the bottom curve, obeying the tilt lines with no regard for the surface

walls you're really trying to machine

Check out "curve 5 axis gouging gcode.mcx-6 a 5X swarf from the advanced 5X suite

I've uploaded a 2nd file that makes 2 passes

CURVE 5 AXIS GOUGING_2 PASSES_GCODE.MCX-6

Thanks Gcode

works a treat and cleaned up nicely.

originally chose the curve 5 axis to be able to use the wear offset for some blending. Didn't realise that it might violate the surfaces. Learned alot though.

Thanks again.

Mark

MR Fish that is wht there are so many different options in Mastercam and thanks for sharing the pictures. I wonder how many will even read this thread to learn something?

Hopefully many. emastercam is by far the best resource for learning this tricky stuff and usually the first place we turn when we have an issue. Infact I think CNC software should be sponsering it, if they aren't already as I would send them alot more questions/queries without the helpfullness of the members of emastercam. Keep up the good work people