Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Inco ...

MoMo1108

Im cutting inco and i want to get more tool life out of the tool any sugestions on coatings or any out of the box ways / theorys. Its a 3/16 ball that reaches down about 2 in. tool has a 1.5 taper to 3/8 shank ( very very tight spaceing) i was thinking of trying dimond.....thanks

That doesn't sound like much fun. Inco isn't very forgiving on ball endmills. And Inco doesn't cut well taking a light cut. I always tried to take a .010" finish cut. Then you have to watch tool wear very closely if you are trying to hold tight tolerances.

For roughers we had the best luck with the Garr V5 series with the Alcrona coating. I had a 718 Inco job I ran a lot of smaller ball endmills on and I am pretty sure they were Garr, but I can't remember which ones we ran for sure. They had the same coating though. And they were 4 flute. I used a 3/16" and a 1/8". All I know is we tried a few different brands and always came back to the Garr. It was a production job and in the end the cycle time and the endmill/part ratio was best with Garr.

HTH

Yeah, we made these 718 Inco parts...

100_0209.jpg

If I remember right we changed roughers after 2 parts. We changed the finish ball endmills every 3-5 parts.

I should add we were using 3/8" endmills for the roughing, 1/4" for roughing the pockets, 3/16" flat for finishing the pockets, and a 3/16" ball and a 1/8" ball to finish the surfacing.

ya this is a very complex part and were useing about 90 tools per part has anyone tryed diamond for finishing the biggest problem is the tool is wearing out by the time it gets to the root so the blade tappers and we have to end up running it twice .....ive use alcrona and i love it but will it make a big diffrence over exceed thanks for all your responses ... ps we run oil not coolent

Ceramics used them before and they have their place for roughing, but for finishing I will stick to Carbide. I do like a the diamond coating it does help tool life and to me is worth the cost.

HTH

ya it makes sence to use diamond coating but ive been told it wont work or dosent but i have a hard time beleaving that considering its harder and more wear resistant than anything else that i know of and we are looking into ceramics for roughing it will just be a matter of getting them doen to 3/16 ball and the only company that makes ceramic ball endmills only make it as small as 3/8....

Like anything there are those against and for something. The idea of experince is the best method to draw from. I remember years ago the owner would not buy inserted drill said they were junk. I offered to pay for it and give me the profit for the job we run it on. We made $3600 profit on the 1st job. He paid me for the drill and inserts and that was it. I was willing to put my money were my thoughts were. Diamond coating has done well for me, but it just comes down to what are you allowed to try to make it work. 90 endmills and something different would be tried. Yes getting Cermaics that small will be a challange.

HTH

Inco is one of the softer materials we cut :smoke:

I run about 125 SFM with MA Ford endmills.

here's a sample started from 6" round bar stock

Hardest chit I have ever cut was Tungsten. It didn't go well LOL. That's some pretty good speeds for Inco Wes. I think we were only running up to about 100 SFM with the Garr stuff. Do you get those speeds roughing?