Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas TL-2 with Tool Post or Turrett

Sandybar

I've run TL1's and 2's with and without the turret. In fact, my shop was the beta site for the TL turret...and I was the guy to check it out. I must say first that I can't stand dorian tool posts. Although simple to use and they repeat (pretty reliably) to .001" I really just don't like em. They are weak, allow too much variation, can come loose, etc...and you can barely trust them for .001"

So I would go with the turret. I haven't seen one in years, but the first ones were painfully slow to rotate and you really had to watch where tools were but once you get a job running it is nice to not do the dorian tool switch dance for the rest of it. If you do get the turret, search around for guys that have come up with cool ways to do their coolant lines. It will make your life that much easier...and oh, if this is your first TL, get a raincoat. :laughing:

+1 to the rain coat, but don't forget the colostomy bag under it. The "seals" for the cross slide work more as a coolant wick for dribbling on the floor.

good product made infuriating by abysmal coolant handling. might be better off ordering the control package and retrofitting it to an old engine lathe, at least it wouldn't leak as much this way (just kidding).

one i ordered had 4 position turret. kinda limits tooling and cutting diameter, if that is important to you. i would seriously consider looking into the no turret option with a gang tool setup. just depend on you're use

We have a sothwestern prototrak and went for the dickson quick change tool post rather than the turret.

Simple reason was as it was for prototyping, we could get some big and long boring bars in the tool holder, but we couldn't get them in the turret.

If you were going to go with more qty's, then I'd say yes to the turret.

BTW - with the dickson quick change, we can do jobs and hold 1/2 a thou all day with no problems (1630 size lathe).

This is what I am running on my machine. With these parts I would have needed to get even more creative with my tooling to get even do the first operation in it. I also have 10 turning, 4 boring, 2 drill chucks, part off tool, morse taper, 5c collet and a few other normal holders. The nicest part is the versatility. I also found out that welding nylon lock nuts onto the adjustment screws is an amazing way to keep your tools at the right height.

20130418_135206_zps89bde0e8.jpg20130418_135123_zps19242eb4.jpg20130418_140459_zpsa0967609.jpg20130418_140509_zps4f139d6e.jpg20130418_140528_zps57c233f1.jpg

• Like 1

They're right about the coolant mess. I ran a TL 1 and they do a pretty good job for short runs. we had a quick change and had to modify the handle so that it would fit under the guard. it is possible to make a really good work stop by using the 2 screw holes on the back of the spindle and .5 bar stock with a flat cut on it. works really well.