Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe live tooling

goldhntr

My company has recently purchased an HAAS ST10y CNC lathe. This lathe has the potential for live tooling. The motor that drives it top out at 3000K RPM. I work in an R & D environment and much of the work that I do is small and very few in quantity. The tooling package that came with the Lathe has one in axis live tool and one right angle live tool (forgive me if I am using the wrong labels for these tools). They both use ER32 collets to hold the cutters. They are both 1 to 1. They are both made by Eppinger. I would like to acquire a couple more for each axis, but I need to double or even triple the RPM. I don’t need to hold large tools; in fact, I will rarely use anything larger that 3/8” and more often will be using tools that are less the 1/16” in dia. Eppinger does make these live tools and I can’t say that I am disappointed with Eppinger. So far they haven’t got used very much. I am still learning the Machine. They are working OK, but it would be better if I could speed them up. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands or other bits of wisdom? I was looking for some sort of quick change systems so I could use one driver and swap out tools, but I have had no luck Identifying anything I thought would work well. Thanks in advance for your input.

VonRuden make fantastic live tools as well. I know they have some 2:1 geared tools for the Haas, but I don't know if they do it with a quick change. The have others available with the KM system though so it may be worth giving them a call