Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

1st 5 Axis Attempt

Sumac Andy

Hi - this is my first attempt and I am getting nowhere fast. I have put this as a request to our Mastercam support dept. and am waiting a response......

I thought I may get a quicker answer here so here goes.....

I would like to machine the outside profile as the attached part shows and is orientated.

I have tried a swarf but get 'must sync sharp corners'??????

There is more to this part but cannot share as confidentiality prohibits.

Any help would be great.

Ta.

Andy.

1ST 5AXIS.MCX-6

for the sync error your top rail and bottom rail have to have same number of corners or timing marks if you will. take for instance a square top and a circle bottom. you would have to break the circle into 4 pieces to correspond to the four corners of the square. the breaks in the circle have to be close to the breaks in the square. you could do any shape to match up to any shape. but the tool paths get complicated when the timing is too far off. but after you understand the timing of your corners the sync error will make sense. hope that helps, that's how I was explained it and I was as clear as mud after that.

get rid of all the vertical lines (put them on another level).

Pick multiaxis toolpaths, choose swarf.

pick your tool, then holder if you want.

on the cut pattern branch, choose chain.

Hit the arrow to the right of "Chain" to open the chain manager.

Just above the green check box, click the exclamation point, near the bottom you will see sync mode, choose "by entity". Green check out of the chain manager optioins and then pick your bottom chain.... then your upper chain.

Swarf away!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 3

Just above the green check box, click the exclamation point, near the bottom you will see sync mode, choose "by entity". Green check out of the chain manager optioins and then pick your bottom chain.... then your upper chain.

Swarf away!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

Worked like a dream!! All I have to do now is get it on the machine....Thank you sooooooo much. :fun:

Andy.

Just a bit of further elaboration: If you find yourself creating a lot of lofted or ruled surfaces or making toolpaths that use Sync like Swarf you can set this ahead of time and save it to the configuration by going to Settings > Configuration > Chaining > Sync Mode.

I've found that "by entity" is the most reliable and easiest to understand sync mode, because you simply make sure each chain has the same break points, and it will always sync predictably. Some of the other ones can get a bit tricky..

• Like 5
  • 3 years later...

Swarf away!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

3+ years later and your post was helpful. Thank you.