Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 Verify Launch Error: C-hook not found

3dw4rd760

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but not to MasterCAM, this being my first post. Most of the issues I have had, I've been able to resolve by searching the forum or working with our reseller. I currently have an issue with X7 that I am not able to find an answer to by searching

I just installed X7 from the .exe link on the downloads page. I ran the migration utility and got all my configuration settings imported and updated. I opened up a recent X6 file and saved it as an X7 then I tried to launch the Operation Verify and I recieve a pop up message dialog: "Error C-hook not found" with the contents of the dialog being a path "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAMX6\CHOOKS\MACHSIM.dll".

Now this is confusing to me as I dont know why X7 would be looking in an X6 folder for a C-Hook, or why it would pop up the error at all when that praticular c-hook file DOES exists and reside in both the C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAMX6\CHOOKS and C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAMX7\CHOOKS folders.

Can anyone please tell me what might be the cause of this?

post-46724-0-23822800-1368037332_thumb.jpg

Hi ajmer,

Thank you for the reply. After I ran the Migration Utility, I did Open \ Load my X6 config file in X7 and save it to the shared mcamx7 folder, as well as the my X6 Toolbar States and Key Mapping files.

I did as you suggested and deleted the config files from the shared mcamx7 and my mcamX7 to let MasterCAM create a new default config file as it launched, (See: Cap1 image).

I then proceeded to creat a quick rectangle chain and contour operation using Mill Default machine definition ( unaltered default ) and attempted to verify it and I got the same message. (See: Cap2 image).

A new developement to this is that I am now getting a new error message when I launch X6 MU3: "Warning, Error opening INSERT.TBL" (See: Cap3 image)

Any remedy short of a complete reinstall, manual migration and manual reconfiguration would be greatly appreciated.

post-46724-0-92836900-1368040201_thumb.jpg

post-46724-0-18845400-1368040434_thumb.jpg

post-46724-0-78227600-1368040607_thumb.jpg

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try deleting the whole my mcamx7 folder but got the same results. I went ahead and did a full uninstall / registry sweep then reinstalled and got X6MU3 configured and working the way it was before the first install of X7. I then reinstalled X7 without any migration or other configuration file transfers, opened my most recent X6 file and it seemed to work fine although it did throw a corrupted tool alarm when opening the fle and ask me if I wanted to remove it, [yes] or [no]. It did that on my first attempt with X7, after which I clicked "yes" and Code Expert launched, did something then displayed a log file. After that instance is when I started getting the warning error when launching X6.This time I clicked "no" and launched X7 verify, which appeared to work correctly dispite the alarm and after which the same file verified and worked correctly in X6MU3 as well.

As it stands now that everything is working again, I'll hold off on the auto migration and try to get time with Trevor (our reseller support) to recreate the issue and find an effective migration method as some of our customized libraries and machine definitions may be still referencing things as far back as X5.

Thanks again for the support.

Glad to hear you got it fixed, Trevor will be able to help you out :)

That tool warning you're seeing is because of a corrupted tool in your mastercam file. It could be that there was a copy of a tool (duplicate) that has since been "deleted" but wasn't actually removed, a tool with a geometry reference or something along those lines. The tool guys here started to clean those out with X7, since they were interfering with some of the new ops going forward, and you don't want to use bad data to calculate these toolpaths :)

This problem happens when you load a configuration file from a previous version of Mastercam. The paths to the files in the configuration are still pointing to your previous version folder. I have my configuration set EXACTLY the way I want it. I don't like having to create it all over again. So I copy my config, toolbar, and keymap files over to the new version folder. I then set them as default. Then I painstakingly go through the files section in the config and point everything to the newer version files. There needs to be an easier way to do this. If there already is please explain.

Rotary - It won't help you much because you're carrying older configs, but here's the issue you're having:

X6 Config:

post-12334-0-84162000-1368106024_thumb.jpg

Now, they finally got all of the paths converted to relative paths (instead of absolute like in x6):

post-12334-0-73761500-1368106030_thumb.jpg

Actually, now that I think about it, you should be able to hack in those variables (such as <APP_DIR_USER>) in place and it'll work properly now and into the future, but I haven't tried it.

I'd probably suggest rolling back to a stock X7 config, and then manually configuring it and save it, it should be much more robust moving forward. Of course, there's never a guarantee that config options won't change in the future, but at least there's no more absolute paths in the config!

post-12334-0-84162000-1368106024_thumb.jpg

post-12334-0-73761500-1368106030_thumb.jpg

After knowing better(never worked in the past correctly), I went ahead and tried the migrate utility yesterday at a customers.....

Don't use it, it breaks more than it helps, its not hard to throw tools/post/machines in a folder , update then put the stuff where it needs to be.. I always force people to rebuild there configs, and toolbars, only takes a few minutes.

Just my2cents

"I went ahead and tried the migrate utility yesterday at a customers"

"Don't use it, it breaks more than it helps"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yup... me too.

I tries three times... three uninstalls... now, I'm starting fresh and just tweaking it as I go.

Come to think of it... I did that with X6 too... ended up just tweaking as I went.

I only takes a few weeks with minimal time spent here and there.

• 3 months later...

In response to Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software about tools...... I haven't gotten an error ... yet... but, I just installed (for the 2nd time) X7. I used Update Folder to update my tools to version 7 but all it does it bring in version 6 with file names like -6.tooldb. Why??? What version are these files??? This is only one of the continuing problems since X? that has never been fixed.