Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Change NCI box

Noel

Good day to all.

I am still on version 8.1.1. I often use the force toolchange button in the change NCI dialog box when doing multiple parts in one setup.The problem is that it takes 40 seconds for the next box to pop up after i click on the change NCI box.Is this normal or is there a setting that I need to change to make this go faster.The size of the file doesn't seem to afect the time it takes for the box to open up.Thanks in advance.

cheers.gif Noel

Thanks Greg for ckecking. I figured out that it is taking so long because I am saving all of my MC8,NCI, and NC files on the server. Not my choice.Anyway if I move the file to my c drive and rename the NCI path to the c drive as well it way faster(1 second).Thanks again

cheers.gif Noel

Jim,

I do the same kind of thing albeit in reverse. I wrote a little vbscript file that sits on my desktop that, when invoked, goes out on our network and grabs some updated files which are then copied to a local folder on this machine, Noel could do the same sort of process but it reverse.

Food for thought.

What I did once to my co-worker was rather rude but simple thing :

You put on the scheduled task new task to be started at the end of the day for example or once a week using some archivator or backup program for a new backup :

You must decide a strategy like once in month full backup and once a day incremental.

After the end of a backup you copy it to the server .

So you have your files, your backup on your machine and a backup on the server.

Now I put it in the server folder that is schedualed for a taper backup , so it is backuped once more , now on the tape.

Your are getting tripple back-uping and it is a good thing .

Your PC can became broken ,stolen ,burned ,your server too ,but the tape is kept at the separate

safe place and your still have your work .

Iskander teh paranoid !

The reason that the boss wants me to save to the server is because we have two seats of MC and its nice when every thing is in one place and being backed up dialy as our server is.My only worry is that if the other programer makes as change to a file on his c drive and forgets to resave to the server I might get burned.Other than the change nci taking longer the only other time it seems to be a problem is when I post a large 3d file for a yasnac control.In that case I usualy save the file to my c drive and change the nci destination to the same.Then resave to the server when I am done.Do you guys think that it would be a good idea if both programers worked off of our c drives and backed up to the server in one file blending the two using the most current date of modefication in the case of duplicate files.I know there is software that can be set up to do this.What do you think?

cheers.gif Noel

Dvd or cd writers are far less in volume capacity than tape and not so reliable to be trusted for a back-up non-human interfered purposes.

The tape still rules !

quote:

I know there is software that can be set up to do this.What do you think?

There are ton of software for backuping but even in Winrar archivator in commaand line parameters you have an option for add and update files ,it will change files with a date younger than existing and leave intact with a date older than existing and save new files .

In special backup program you will have a lot of options,features and filters for making far more sophisticated backup tasks .

Iskander teh paranoid always make a backup for a cigarette .

[ 09-11-2003, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

Noel,

quote:

I figured out that it is taking so long because I am saving all of my MC8,NCI, and NC files on the server.

We also save everything on a server, except for the NCI. We just save that to the C drive. We also have our cfg file on the server so that everyone uses the same settings. We have about 15+ seats of mastercam. Our change NCI doesn't take long to do.

HTH

Glenn