Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to approach this ??!!

wojtek90

I am learning Mastercam and I would like to write program to make part on the picture. I know basic of Mastercam but my question is how would you approach this. First how to draw it ? On different layers ? What I should start with ? Drawing part in 3D then make arch then clamping on other side and do right side. Any guidance is very appreciate.

Thank you.

Ps.This is training exercise, school is over and I do not have a teacher to ask.

post-46167-0-13600200-1369361357_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, great place to ask questions.

To cut the part you will only need 2d outlines and or points. To draw a solid you need to create wireframes.

Here is my example, it looks like there is an error on 1 dimension.

The type of machine that you are using will determine how you will attack the part in most cases. The raw material stock also will determine how you will hold it as well. Kevin has suggested a good plan to start with. He has also setup a Mastercam Learning group, this is a great resource to see different approaches.

What version of Mastercam are you using?

ScreenShot005_zps9d9e89b0.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, I did not completely read your questions. I was replying with my phone while standing at my machine.

I pm'ed Webby to have him add you to the group. Did he get to it?

I will be putting together a tutorial in the next couple weeks that explains pretty much all the stuff you are asking. I could use this part to do it.

• Like 1

I put together a video on creating just the basic solid shape. I was trying to explain everything but after getting the video done I noticed the mic in my headset (which I just bought) is no longer working. So I hope you can follow along without narration. If you don't understand anything in the video just ask and I will try to explain it for you.

I did not add the two front holes because I wanted to see if you can figure that out. Post a screen shot when you are done. Then I will make another one showing you how to setup the stock and get ready to machine it.

• Like 1

You are genius Kevin!!!!!!. :fun:

Thank you so much. I couldn't do it without you. I am working on it right now, but is getting late and I have to be on my feet 5 AM.

I am doing chamfers right now and probably I can do holes myself. I will finish it tomorrow after work and show you result. Then I will ask for continuing as you promise.

Thanks again.

I am uploading the programming for the first op. I didn't approach this correctly and I fumbled my way through it, but instead of starting the program all over maybe you will learn a little more from it? Anyway, the first thing I usually do is set my tools to use step peck and coolant. I do this because I have an aluminum library with proven feeds and speeds. So using step peck and coolant brings the tools in with all the same settings. But I forgot to do that until I was almost done with this program. So I had to go back in and re-pick my tools.

There are also a few trial and error things I do that I end up changing my mind on. But if you watch this hopefully it will help you out.

The mic doesn't work on the headset I just bought so that is part of the reason for me just hurrying up and flying through this because I set aside time to do so and I burned most of it up trying to get this stupid mic working.

Anyway, here is the first part of this video (2 parts):

And the second part

I attached the file to this post.

CLAMP.zip

• Like 1

Thank you so much Kevin. Let me digest it and I am sure I will have some questions about it. In meantime I am working on base guitar project :guitar: .

The second one looks too difficult for me.

I will let you know how I am progressing in couple of days.

Tanks again.

Wojtek

I will try and fumble my way through the other two ops in a day or so. I think I have my boy today (YIPPIE) so I (hopefully) won't be able to get to it today :)

It is OK. I am waiting. In meantime I try to work on Guitar project.

I draw contour by copy all dimensions from yours file, but I can not close the chain to extrude it.

Is it any way to fix it like for example in Inventor Sketch Doctor Command, or something similar ?

.I delete all duplicate, I have everything on the same plane looks like all arc and lines are connected ,but but i am getting 4 chains instead of one. Any suggestions?

Well thank you. It is very sloppy because I was in such a hurry. Which is usually the way I program LOL.

I am going to redo these videos and finish all 3 operations to show WCS setup for the remaining sides. Then hopefully anyone new to programming can use those to get a handle on setting up future project files to follow along with us.

I love it when Jay outdoes me. He always shows an easier and different way of doing things. It's the reason for the learning group. To see how the other guy does the same thing.

I started working with Mastercam X. I had a few pointers from a supervisor, but that was only for a few minutes the first day I sat down at the PC. Then I learned how to draw using a few tutorials I found. From there it has all been trial and error learning. These past few months I have been enrolled at eapprentice learning from Derek and Jay. It's really cool to see new and proper ways of doing things.

The only drawback to learning the way I did is now I find myself set in my ways. Even after seeing new techniques I often fail to remember them until after I have already done things the way I learned. So when I learn something new I try to re-create the technique a few different ways to really understand it and try to drive it home so to speak.

Which I am going to do right now ;)