Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming Back Spot Face Tool

Rotary Ninja

I have found that if you play around enough in Mastercam you can accomplish just about anything. This is just something I thought of and have never had the ability to program in Mastercam or even try to figure out a solution to make it work. Would it be possible to program a back spot face tool in Mastercam and not have to edit the NC file to add M00 stops to install and remove the cutter? Would a point to point toolpath be a place to start? How would you do it?

Also - How could you verify it?

Kev,

I'm sure you could do it via a custom drill cycle. I mostly (had to be finished by my reseller) did one for gun drilling, which was mostly copied from here (via the search).

As for verification - I wouldn't have thought you could verify it by mastercam because of the M00 - add tool and contunue, but you could via the posted code (NCPlot) which would just allow you to step through the cycle and watch the tool down M00 up down etc. Basic, but it would show you rapiding through the part... :lol:

I was just curious if there was a trick to getting it done in a toolpath or two and if it were at all possible to verify. Which I was pretty sure couldn't be done, but I have been surprised on here before.

newbeeee - I was thinking custom drill cycle would be suggested. But I have never done any of that yet.

Back spot face tools have been around forever. I think these tools should be able to be used in Mastercam to perform these types of operations and have the ability to verify. There are times when you need to see what happens in toolpaths after these tools are used and not being able to see an accurate representation in verify could cause you to miss something.

Back spot face tools have been around forever. I think these tools should be able to be used in Mastercam to perform these types of operations and have the ability to verify. There are times when you need to see what happens in toolpaths after these tools are used and not being able to see an accurate representation in verify could cause you to miss something.

Especialy when you manually program it, and one wrong number and there goes a $450 tool. (and a $1200 casting)

I have program both tool types and even a broach using point and custom drill cycles, but you cannot verify or backplot any of them correctly because Mastercam assume the tool is turning. However you can post it and get the correct NC output. I wonder how much trouble would it be for CNC to add non rotating tools and have them verify/backplot correctly.