Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-axis Retract issues

Greg_J

Hey Guys,

I have a round part that I'm milling all the way around the part and in Mastercam often when the tool will move around the other side of the part it rapids through the part.

It seems to happen in all the multi-axis programs that I use when I use depth cuts option. The toolpath seems to ignore the check surfaces I use, some moves it will retract properly and at other parts in the program the tool goes right through the part.

I will post some more specifics tomorrow but any ideas would be appreciated.

Greg

Hey Guys,

I have a round part that I'm milling all the way around the part and in Mastercam often when the tool will move around the other side of the part it rapids through the part.

It seems to happen in all the multi-axis programs that I use when I use depth cuts option. The toolpath seems to ignore the check surfaces I use, some moves it will retract properly and at other parts in the program the tool goes right through the part.

I will post some more specifics tomorrow but any ideas would be appreciated.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Does the posted code reflect these movements or is it just a backplot/verify problem. Quite often I see this on my 4 axis horizontal in backplot, but the posted code is sound.

Is the part hollow? If so make sure you select the inside as check surfaces as well. I had this happen on shock bodies. If Mastercam sees an area inside the part it can fit a tool in it goes for a drive surface from the inside regardless of the check surfaces on the outside of the part.

Greg

Under Linking - Clearance Area - Make sure it makes sense to your part

- Links Between Slice Small/Large - Retract to Clearance (Adjust accordingly)

- Links Between Passes Small/Large Moves - Retract to Clearance (Adjust accordingly)

Basically it's the tool control point in Fanuc control

It allows the control to "know" were the end of the tool is relative to the center of rotation.

From the Fanuc Website:

Tool Centre Point Control (TCP)

A frequently used function is Tool Centre Point Control. It ensures tool length control

in the tool axis direction, taking into consideration the path of the tool centre point. It

controls the movement at the tool centre point so that this follows the programmed

path, even if the tool axis direction changes. In addition to linear movements, this

function also supports circular interpolation

http://www.fanucfa.com/ch-en/binarywriterservlet?imgUid=57b70bbc-7152-4401-e594-5cc948b7234f&uBasVariant=33333333-3333-3333-3333-333333333333

Now that I have MX7 back up and working again....

Angled step for rapid moves seems to be the problem, it's does linear moves it doesn't show an arc. I had it set to 180, I wanted it to put out less moves for my program so when I simulate it rapids through the part in a linear move. In Cimco the program looks good.