Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Heat Shrink Issues

We have been using some ER32 Heat shrink extensions for while now on some of our live tools.

They have been superb except that now one of them you can't fit a tool into.

It for a .125 tool.

We have been heating with a torch and i think that this is most likely our problem.

When i put tools into them i try and heat as evenly as possible. Talking to the guy who uses these tools alot he mentioned that he only had been hitting it with the torch from one side.

I'm thinking that after enough heating and cooling on one side only, turned the bore into an egg.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue. We are going to purchase more heat shrink tooling in the future so this would be an issue i would like to avoid.

As always any and all info is greatly appreciated!

post-38000-0-58133700-1370390849_thumb.jpg

post-38000-0-55143000-1370390862_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

These tools are perishable, limited life span. Planet is correct, smaller tools wear out faster. Keep everything clean before assembly. Any little bit of grime can build up quickly and get baked into the bore. Cherry red shortens the lifespan. The induction systems apply the proper amount of heat to a specific diameter range, increasing the life of the holder. Don't overhang the tooling. Repeated sticking tools to far out of the holder produces a shelf in the holder, which stops you from using the full shank under normal conditions. Use H6 class fit tooling and avoid the cheap e-mills. They usually don't run true anyways.

With any of the below conditions, plan on ordering new holders.

We have honed holders to buy more time or clean them up.

We've also Jig ground them up to the next size, 6mm to 1/4". Don't expect to many tool changes in this situation.

Cherry red. Ok, so that's a no no with new holders but we have used that setting to get a stubborn holder to expand. Typically we up the diameter setting to the next size range. Eventually they will not expand far enough to get the tool in.

You can even tap (or EDM ) a hole for a set screw and size the bore to make standard extensions out of the used holders after they stop expanding.

NEVER use a torch on heat shrink holders. You'll shorten the life, you'll cause runout (maybe not at first but eventually), it's just plain bad for 'em, especially the smaller ones.

• 5 months later...

Really need to look to the Rego-fix Hydraulic powRgrip system. Here is some information and links to help.

powRgrip® is time-saving! The system enables a quick and uncomplicated tool changing.

The high precision of powRgrip® meets the highest demands of precision. A combination of 3µ runout and highest clamping force turns powRgrip® into a high performance system for a modern cutting (HSC, HPC).

powRgrip® collets and holders show no signs of wear and thus they have the highest durability.

Especially for challenging machining, security of process can be increased with secuRgrip®.

http://www.rego-fix....ipr-system.html

.125 diameter shrink fit holders have a short life, whether it's an induction heater or a torch. The problem is with the amount of heat you have to put into a hole that small to get it to expand.

Obviously it's not always possible, but if you'll have WAY better results with a .250 or .1875 shank tool that's necked down to whatever your cutting diameter is.

.125 diameter shrink fit holders have a short life, whether it's an induction heater or a torch. The problem is with the amount of heat you have to put into a hole that small to get it to expand.

Obviously it's not always possible, but if you'll have WAY better results with a .250 or .1875 shank tool that's necked down to whatever your cutting diameter is.

Wow, apt advice given the situation. We clean out corners with those three tool sizes daily. Don't know how you called it :laughing::unworthy:

Sometimes we really hang out the .125ball due to .500/.750 extension collet clearance issues.

would prolly need to find a source for .250 shanked 1/8" endmills with 1.5"+ reach to take your advice.

thanks guys!

Really need to look to the Rego-fix Hydraulic powRgrip system. Here is some information and links to help.

http://www.rego-fix....ipr-system.html

Definitely a great system, but I don't know how anybody can legitimately justify that cost without some pretty specific applications, especially if you have big tool magazines and hundreds of dedicated tools. You can buy 3 or 4 Techniks shrink holders for the cost of a powRgrip holder and collet.

That said, a buddy of mine who runs a shop with 130 spindles has tried everything, and says powRgrip it's the absolute best performance-wise.

We use a $200 Turbo-torch (air-acetylene) for shrink fit, and have had great luck. I don't see myself ever buying an induction heater setup. In my case, that money is much better spent on more holders.

Wow, apt advice given the situation. We clean out corners with those three tool sizes daily. Don't know how you called it :laughing::unworthy:

Sometimes we really hang out the .125ball due to .500/.750 extension collet clearance issues.

would prolly need to find a source for .250 shanked 1/8" endmills with 1.5"+ reach to take your advice.

thanks guys!

A buddy of mine down the street bought the Techniks induction heater and about 15 of the .125 slim holders for an operation that eliminates $8000 worn of wire edm outsourcing per month. He hangs a .125 dia endmill out about 2 inches and tickles away the material for a week straight. (His reach is too long for a .250 necked tool to be cost effective). That's how we learned the .125 slim holders like that go bad. A 3/8 holder barely has to get warm to change a tool, a .125 holder gets cherry red.

Check out Tungsten Toolworks. We use a .078 with .550 reach on a .250 shank, and the performance is outstanding.

• Like 1

I know of an application where someone was drill 11K holes per part and just changing to the powrgrip system almost double tool life on the drills. 1000's of clamps and unclamps sorry will never be able to say the same thing for shrink fit. Yes it cost money, but places that have them love them and honestly suprised how they ever did without them.

• Like 1

We dont run shrink fit tooling, but over on the extrusion machines they have to use a torch to burn off excess plastic when cleaning the heads between runs. I have seen operators prop up the torch blasting one side of the extrusion cones while they are breaking the machine down thinking they are being more efficient. This usually results in a $2000.00 paperweight as these heads reiy on a precise taper fit to seal and heating on one side warps the cone.

We're heading towards using shrink fit tooling in the near future and so far I've been pretty adamant about the need to use an induction heater. Our main use of the tooling would be for slender long reaches when cutting mold cavities which isn't an every day thing making it difficult to justify the expense.

Now someone whose opinion I've always highly valued, that's you Joe, says he's using a torch. I've got a turbo torch sitting in my garage at home, great idea.

You guys who are using torches, are you using temperature indicator sticks (commonly used by welders) to get close to recommended temperatures without over heating much which should extend the usable lifespan of the holders, or, are you just winging until the tools fit?

We just position the tool in one of those CAT40 changing stations in the horizontal orientation, and then quickly bounce side to side with the Turbo Torch until the tool will go in (or come out). .250, .375, .500, .750, 1.0 etc - all go in and out very easily without any discoloration of the holder (at least with Techniks). .1875 will get a little bit of a blue-cooked tint to it, and .125 you have to pretty much nuke it.

None of the sizes take more than 30-45 seconds to heat up.

I haven't used any induction system other than the $4,000 Techniks unit - and having monkeyed with it for a little bit, I would never buy it. Every shop is different though.