Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Recommended toolpath

Thoob

I have this part here that we cut quite a bit of. This style I mean. As of right now I use a High Speed Surface - area clearance to rough it out with a 1" high feed mill, then a flowline with a ballmill for finish. It works out to 1200SFM with .120/rev (3 teeth) with .6 stepover. So it basically gives me around the 10 cubic inch removal rate. I don't know if I should be using a different path. What do you guys suggest?

The highlighted surface

Part is 16" long by 7" wide. Diameter of surface is usually between 2.5" and 3"

surfacearea_zpsdf829f8e.jpg

We have 28" travel on the Z. I don't think it would be enough. Anyway, Not really looking for extra tooling. I guess I should be more specific. We are not by any means a production shop so when I say we get these type parts a lot, I'm talking more like 6-12 parts per month if we're lucky. Sometimes go 6 months before seeing them. I'm just thinking of different toolpaths. What does the opti rough do that's different from the are clearance? I have not had a chance to ever try the opti rough.

Its not a ballmill. Its a 1" high feed mill. I hog it out with that, then use a ballmill to finish it. The ballmill takes no time. Its the hogging out that does. I'm not really sure what you mean by tipping it up 45 degrees? What would I gain? I would end up with another set up and another operation.

Do a parallel toolpath going across the surface with a .030" or .060" Rad 5/8" Garr 5-Flute - One shot, like .100" stepover and 75 IPM leaving .030" material. Then a Flowline with a 3/4" Ball cutting along the surface.

What kind of cycle time are you getting?

I actually have the whole part cycle here

Its 30 mins to get the whole thing done, minus the 8 holes which is about a min total as its an insert drill.

It looks ok yes, lol. But the removal rate is only 10 cubic inches/min. The 3/4" endmill you see is taking a lot more than that. However I appreciate the responses. I just wasn't sure if I was on the right type of toolpath or not for that type of concave surface.

I'm a big fan of highfeed cutters, but they are not always the most optimal. Try Optirest (looking at a stock model) with step-ups turned on, Start at full Flute height and step-up the walls, I would set the step-up to the maximum material your finish tool can handle.

Essentially the same thing your doing now, but from the bottom up :D