Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X6 to X7

drafting3

Hey guys. I've been sucked into a series of odd production runs lately. Most have had short cycle times, so I haven't been able to leave my machine long enough to get anything else accomplished.

(give me one offs any day...)

Anyways, I have X7 in an unopened box on my desk and it's burning a whole in my brain. I want to install X7 and start playing working with it.

I've noticed a lot of threads about bugs and crashes, which worries me. Is everyone suggesting the upgrade to X7? Is it worth the headaches? (We only have 3 axis)

Currently the only bug in X6 that irritates me is weird results with transform toolpaths.

For me personally, I have it installed and do not use it.

I love some of the new features, but have run in to enough issues (although minor in most cases) that the enhancements have not been beneficial enough to make dealing with the bugs worth it.

Hopefully some new service packs are on the horizon.

I've been running X7 since last summer, first as an alpha release, then beta and now X7 SP1.

Like all software it has it's quirks, but no deal breakers IMO

I've had way more trouble with SolidWorks lately than X7 ever gave me.

Install X7, and do not use the migration utility. Set everything up manually. Yes, there are still some bugs - it has crashed on me randomly a few times. But they aren't bad enough to make me not want to use it. And X6 crashes on me almost daily. I wouldn't start programming a 100 toolpath part program in it until you get used to using it. But small stuff I have been using it exclusively. I did just spend 2 days programming a part in X7 that I was a bit leery of at first, but it all worked out great. And the new verify improvements sped things up a bit for me. The only thing is some of my old tools came up corrupt upon re-opening the file. No real biggie though. For now I would suggest creating new tools for any programming you do in X7.

• Like 1

the x7 verify, which I had problems with (but also had problems with x6 verify) seems, for me at least, to now be as stable as x6.

However, one of the strange errors I was getting frequently in early versions of 7, where it cant find UBVS.dll, now occasionally pops up in V6.