Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fitting geometry to arc

skeetboy25

Just checked out the logo on their website. Easy enough... Make horizontal and vertical lines from your farthest points of the logo. Create a line from one corner to the opposite one. The midpoint of that line is the center of the logo. Translate the logo & scale if needed. smile.gif

Rob

Hey skeetboy25

quote:

How would I fit a simple 2D logo (pikes peak CC logo) to cocentricize with an arc. I was thinking there would be a way as it can be done with letters.

If I'm reading you correctly ,you are trying to bend an existing Top View type logo around an arc that is also in top view,,,Mastercam doesn't have that feature.. When it works for letters it would be as if you were(you are) making the logo on an arc.

Try this, it will get you close--

Put Logo in top view

Put simple surfaced cone under the logo

The cone must be larger than the logo

Create, curve, project, onto the cone

Look at your result in front view

and squash it.

I know there will be other software that can do what you want,,but this is at least a place to start.

[ 09-24-2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Sometimes when you project a toolpath on an arc it wont look right after it's machined. It depends on how far your text will go down the sides of the arc.

So after you box the logo in and get it in the center, look at the verify result after you cut it. ScaleXYZ to make them look good.

Murlin

[ 09-24-2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Murlin !

quote:

Sometimes when you project a toolpath on an arc it wont look right after it's machined. It depends on how far your text will go down the sides of the arc.

So after you box the logo in and get it in the center, look at the verify result after you cut it. ScaleXYZ to make them look good.

For this exists Xform -roll function and

I want this to include on my Lazy Iskander dirty trics project .

I am too busy for next 5-6 days but afterwards it will be one of the topics .

Stay tuned!

Anyway a quote from help file

quote:

The Roll function lets you wrap lines, arcs, and splines about an axis as though around a cylinder or unwrap rolled entities to make them lie flat. To fit entities in a cylindrical shape when rolling them or to flatten entities when unrolling them, Mastercam breaks the entities relative to an angle tolerance. It then generates new geometry, called target geometry, based on the break points. You can choose to create points at the break points or lines or splines between the break points.

1. Choose Main Menu, Xform, Roll.

2. Select one or more entities, then choose Done. Mastercam opens the Roll dialog box.

Note: Your selection can include points, lines, arcs, and splines.

3. Indicate the type of operation to perform by choosing Move or Copy.

4. Determine the type of transformation to perform: Roll or Unroll.

5. Indicate the axis to transform the entities about. In Mastercam Design, Mill, and Wire, you can choose X axis or Y axis. In Mastercam Lathe, you can choose Z axis or X axis.

Note: The rotation axis is relative to the current construction plane.

6. Indicate the direction to transform the entities about the axis by choosing CW or CCW

7. Enter a value for Rotary diameter. This value determines the size of the cylindrical shape about which the geometry is transformed.

8. Enter a value for Angle tolerance. This value determines how closely the transformed (target) geometry fits the original geometry. A smaller value results in a more precise fit.

9. Indicate the type of target geometry to create by choosing Points, Lines, Splines, or Nurbs.

10. Set the position of the target geometry by taking one of the following actions:

¨ To position the target geometry relative to an angle value, choose Angle, then enter a value in the text box.

¨ To position the target geometry relative to a translation vector, choose Associate pts, then choose Select. Mastercam returns you to the graphics window. Define the translation vector by entering a point to translate from and a point to translate to. After you enter two points, the dialog box reopens.

11. Choose OK to close the dialog box and transform the geometry.

Iskander teh lazy

Once I made an electrode for engaving on a cylinder using xform->roll and 5-axes toolpathes with 3-axes input and a 4-th axes hand indexer on a 3 axes VMC.

The smallest mill was 0.3 mm.

It was a beauty of an electrode and every time my boss wanted to brag he showed it to his guests.

Also to the other Cad-Cam dealers .

No other package that they represented had such an option !

Iskander teh bragging

[ 09-25-2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]