Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I need help with taper wire edm

Timothy Strickland

Dang, I got older Agie machines. I am new to mastercam and on old software I set up my taper parameters on the machine. Not sure if I should even have to set it on mastercam but if I do not at this time, it does not put taper. If I do set taper parameters on mastercam it puts my land at the top of block no mater what I select. I prefer to burn taper jobs upside down as so that I can remove slugs with out moving the head

Dang, I got older Agie machines. I am new to mastercam and on old software I set up my taper parameters on the machine. Not sure if I should even have to set it on mastercam but if I do not at this time, it does not put taper. If I do set taper parameters on mastercam it puts my land at the top of block no mater what I select. I prefer to burn taper jobs upside down as so that I can remove slugs with out moving the head

Your chain height should be set at middle where your die land ends.

Ok that may help and thanks. Do I need to program my die section topside down? I am gonna be burning upside down. If so how do I flip my part over in mastercam?

Timothy, Basically if you are cutting With Die Land and Taper, simply choose the pic of how you will be wiring it under the taper parameter. 4 Choices, Taper big end up, taper big end down, die land down and die land up. All you will need to do is just have the geometry of the Die land. Input your taper angle and select whether you want constant corner taper or conical corner taper. Set you chain height to middle and input chain height at top of land from the table. You UV height will be the thickness of the part. It is important though that you have the correct setting in you machine for tapering for where your guides are to achieve the right taper angle and land thickness.

• Like 2

Check your taper direction(on your taper page). How it work for me is, whatever direction your top head tilts with your 1st taper cut is the direction you choose. Eg. if you're cutting a die cavity, your 1st pass is cutting in a clockwise direction, and you want your land on the top, you set your taper direction to the right.