Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant Filtering

As with most small shops I have worked in the coolant does not get changed often enough because of cost of getting rid of it. I was wondering what other shops do as far as keeping their coolant clean. One place I worked had a filtering system to pump out the coolant and then reuse it after going through a filter. Are there some out there that are better than others? Costs?

Thanks.

I just went to a seminar that had Blaser Swisslube do a demo. They have offices in Utah and I believe NJ if I remember correctly. I would contact them. I am moving my shop next month and they offered to fill all my coolant tanks after I move the machines to try so I haven't been able to do a time study on tool life.

They were talking about how their product is a Ester based oil as opposed to most of the mineral oil based that are around. It was a neat litle presentation especially when they hooked up a high speed camerra under a microscope to show chip forming on a endmill.

We have a Zebra Coalescer on our Haas EC-1600 horizontal. Previously we had a belt skimmer to try to get rid of all the tramp oil, but it wasn't very effective because of all the baffles in the sump. I thought the Coalescer would do better by constantly re-circulating the coolant. The sump seems cleaner, and there is no layer of tramp oil on top anymore, but the coalescer never seems to trap much oil. Where it goes is a mystery :ermm:

• Like 1

The stink is caused by bacteria. Bacteria eats tramp oil for breakfast and the stink you smell is their waste product. Keep the oil out and they have nothing to eat. Also if the oil is turbulent it slows down their reproduction. The Zebra coalescer mentioned in an earlier thread works great if you know how to use them properly. On week nights I would let the Zebra run all night while the machines were not running. On weekends I had an air regulator with a perforated hose/pipe that I would slip into the coolant tank and let low air pressure bubble the coolant to keep it moving. I was able to keep the same coolant in the tank for over a year this way. Of course you have to add some as it gets low. Do not use bleach or anti-stink chemicals, this = backyard chemist.

• Like 1

Also if the coolant is already saturated with oil nothing will bring it back. Its best to start out by cleaning out the tank with a proper sump cleaning agent from a coolant vendor and putting in a fresh charge of coolant. Then maintain a good oil removal process on a daily basis to keep most of the tramp way oil out.