Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-axis ipm to dpm question

Greg_J

Hello,

I'm having issues with code that's being generated for a 4 axis tool path.

I have a round part that is chucked in our rotary axis and it has a flange protruding out of the side of it.

The stock for the part is round and was turned with material for the flange is round as well but offset.

I use a multi-axis program, parallel cut to "rotary rough" the part using the stock model. It keeps the tool cutting the material at all times and it is way more efficient then pocket roughing on many different planes.

During the roughing process the flange has flats on it as well as radii so during the cut the program moves from cutting the flat with out rotary axis movement then into cutting the radius while moving the rotary axis. The program moves back and forth from inches per minute to degrees per minute.

At times the rotary movement moves at a crawl and at others it move at a proper movement for the tool. I talked to Inhouse about this and the formula that is used in the post is correct and the feed rate is correct but when your running the tool it's obvious that the feed is incorrect.

So what results do you guys get when you make programs like this?

TIA,

Greg

I use InHouse mpmaster for 4axis work and that line is one switch it has.

The trouble with using degrees/minute is that the same federate will give

drastically different results on different sized part.

That's what that switch is for.. to tell the post to calculate the degrees/minute at the tip of the tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

Go to:

Settings -> Control Definition Manager -> Find "FEEDS" in tree and enter it. At the "Rotary" section choose "unit/min" instead of "deg/min". You can also use "inverse feed" (it's the best choice). Anyway... Your problem should disappear. Save your Control definition.

Good luck!

Nope - it's a radio button - only one choice possible.

But You can use "unit/min" for the linear movement and "inverse feed" for the rotary movement under the "4 axis feed options" (and "5-axis feed options"). It works like this (assume you have unit/min for linear and inverse feed for rotary):

When there is no rotary movement in the block (no "A", "B" or "C" address) - the post outputs a G94 code ("unit/min") - the value after "F" is in IPM or mm/min. When there is rotary movement within the block, the post outputs a G93 code, which means the machine tool uses inverse feed under every F command. Both functions are modal. This is how it works under FANUC/HAAS posts.

I haven't seen IPR (Inch Per Round) option in the control def - not for for milling. It propably exists for turning. At least it's what I would suspect - but are not 100% sure.

Hope it helped...

Nope - it's a radio button - only one choice possible.

I was being sarcastic when I asked the question. :D:p

Linear moves will always be units per minute, rotary motion can be DPM or it can be Inverse from the Control Def's perspective. Reality is, if you're using TCPC you program in UPM and the control makes the calcs with no Inverse Feed needed.