Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

easy questions about compenstations in lathe v 9.1

Go Navy

If you choose "computer" and pick a .031 rad. insert,than the computer "mastercam" will do all the figuring for you.Meaning that you need not to use a geometry offset.

If you choose control,it will post with a G41,G42 comp.in your program and you will be responsible to input the radius compensation.

not sure about wear.

Computer comp outputs code that is

fully compenstated for the tool nose radi.

The operator MUST use the tool nose radius you

programmed or angles and radi will not be machined correctly. This is the safest method

(and the one I use almost exclusively), because what you see in backplot is what happens on the machine.

Control comp outputs code that has no compensation for tool nose radius. The operator

must fully describe the tool orientaion and its radius in the offsets page. He has a little leaway to change tool nose radi, but he can get in trouble. If he puts a .032R tool in the offset page and you programmed a .02 internal radius, you may get a gouged part. To program with this mode you have to know exactly what the machine will do in all cases because it may not do what you see in backplot. Posting to a different control will require a careful review of all toolpaths.

Wear comp outputs the same code as computer comp

except in also includes G41/G42/G40's in the toolpath. The operator must use the toolnose radi that you programmed, but he has a little room for adjustment. He would start with tool radi offsets at zero and can adjust from there.

This is a very useful comp if a hand ground tool is being used. You can specify a .01-015 radius

and the operator can tweak +/- a little to match how the toolbit was ground.

Most people just starting with Mastercam lathe

will use control comp because the code comes out closest to the hand written code they are used to seeing.

I prefer computer comp because the code is virtually bulletproof. There is no chance of a

cutter comp error at the machine because there is no cutter comp.

The operator can't screw up a tool nose radius offset because there are none. He MUST however

use the tool nose radi that you specify.

Another plus for computer comp is that it can be posted to different controls with realtive saftey.

This is not the case when using control comp.

Hope this helps NAVY

Semper Fi biggrin.gif

+100 on that GCode,

quote:

I prefer computer comp because the code is virtually bulletproof. There is no chance of a

cutter comp error at the machine because there is no cutter comp.

The operator can't screw up a tool nose radius offset because there are none. He MUST however

use the tool nose radi that you specify.

I totally agree with this and this is how I program it also.

My guys aren't smart enough to check if there is any wear offset in the control,before setting a G50!

Never mind having to input radius comp.

Also,your code will reflect the dia's and drops on your prints. cheers.gif

+1bazillion gcode and BUCKET HEAD

Go Navy, you must ask yourself this question. Do I ever use a reground insert, do we measure the radius of the inserts from the supplier? Of course not! So why trouble yourself with the machine comping for a rad that never changes. When the inserts worn get rid of it. Use the insert radius size that was programmed and call it a day. I mean how many diffrent size rads do you use anyway two possibly three, no big deal. As everyone else has pointed out those dam ccomp errors will drive you crazy. Try this one, program a semi circle where the contact point of the insert rolls arround to the back side of the insert. Program with computer comp works great, do the same with control comp "alarm overcutting will occur bla bla" frown.gif

Bottom line cutter comp in computer good cutter comp in control bad (and you will be wondering how to fudge the numbers to make it work)

quote:

Could someone please explain the differance between between compenstation type computer, control and wear on the parameters page of lathe version 9.1 also could you please explain some of the differant uses of these compensation types..

Everyone else has done a good job of explaning the second part. For the first part:

There are five comp types in MasterCAM. They are:

- Computer. For lathe, this is usually the best choice. The tool nose radius is compinsated for by MasterCAM. The operator must use the same rad you programmed. All you need to specify in the control are the X and Z offsets for the tool. G-code is generated for the thoretical sharp point of the tool (the intersection of the X and Z offsets).

- Control. Makes setting up the lathe more difficult, as the operator needs to correctly specify the tool direction and nose radius, as well as the X and Z offsets. G-code is generated for the center of the tool radius, with G41 and G42 blocks to turn comp on in the appropriate directon.

- Wear/Reverse Wear. Same as 'Control', with the G41 and G42 blocks added to the code. This is usually the best choice for milling, but is not so good for lathe. The operator sets up the X and Z offsets and specifies the tool direction, but inputs only the *difference* between the programmed tool nose radius and the actual tool nose radius. i.e. the nose radius is 0 with a new tool. A .03 rad tool that has worn to .02 would have -.01 entered as the radius. Reverse wear puts G41 in for *right* comp and a G42 in for *left* comp. Reverse wear is useful for controls that would not otherwise accept negative tool nose radiuses. G-code is generated for the thoretical sharp point, as for Control comp.

- Off. Runs without any compinsation and does not put G40/G41/G42 into the code. I can't think of a lathe applicaiton for it, but I'm sure someone will come up with one.

Hope that helps.