Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Boring on a lathe with a U Drill

We use mostly Sandvik 880 u drills here, and I find I can't ever get decent tool life boring with them, the outside corner always wears too fast compared to the inside insert. I much prefer just using a bar to bore instead of the drill. I usually end up using double the amount of outside inserts compared to the inside ones.

While the backplot and verify would not show actual motion, the 2 offset scenario and the potential for bad things to happen scares me.

The U-Drill could be defined to be the actual diameter of the hole you wanted; then verify and stock recognition would be happy.

Just a thought.

Allan

• Like 1

While the backplot and verify would not show actual motion, the 2 offset scenario and the potential for bad things to happen scares me.

The U-Drill could be defined to be the actual diameter of the hole you wanted; then verify and stock recognition would be happy.

Just a thought.

Allan

Allan you could, but then you are back to doing dummy operation you have to ghost. You have the ability to define the same tool twice and use it, though you will get the NCI warning that you have to say okay to. No real logic was given to take a tool and using it 4 times in 4 to 10 different ways for Lathe. MT is coming along with that logic, but I cannot say any more than that.

What are the ways? Well seen a tool where 2 inserts allowed for turning and 2 inserts allowed for milling. You could OD/ID rough with one side of the tool and OD/ID finish and then use it as milling tool. So right there 5 different uses for one tool. Try defining that in regular lathe. Now mill out the bore using a milling toolpath and then go to rough and finish that bore with the same tool. See what kind of ghosting operations you need to accomplish that task. Some complain I just do what I need to get my job done.

Well seen a tool where 2 inserts allowed for turning and 2 inserts allowed for milling. You could OD/ID rough with one side of the tool and OD/ID finish and then use it as milling tool. So right there 5 different uses for one tool. Try defining that in regular lathe. Now mill out the bore using a milling toolpath and then go to rough and finish that bore with the same tool. See what kind of ghosting operations you need to accomplish that task. Some complain I just do what I need to get my job done.

Sandvik Coroplex MT tool...

Had one on a Multus at the last place I was at. Nice tools, and good when trying to minimise tool pot usage, but yes, tricky to implement. Also, if one of the tool sections gets damage it can possibly lead to damage on the other cutting tips, so you can lose the use of three tools vs. one. These tools do have their merits though. Especially if the MT logic is coming on (for those blessed to have it :) )

Sandvik Coroplex MT tool...

So I googled this as I knew nowt about it. Found this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nturyactDHs

The first thing I saw was 2x sets of tips facing eachother, and thought 'ha, I imagine someone picking this up and putting it in a mill mistaking it for a facemill and blowing the thing to pieces'.

Then I watched the full video.....

Very clever.