Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hey Guys,

We're looking at buying a Matsuura MX-520 and I have concern about the power of the spindle.

It seems to be a little on the weak side and I like to rough pretty aggressively with a 3/4" 3 flute Helical Tools Roughing end mill. Our NH4000 has more power then our VariAxis 500 but the MX-520 charts look like it has even less power. Maybe go up to the MX-850 for more power? Or will it be sufficient?

Thanks,

-Josh

Josh, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the power curves of spindles, but focus more on the torque curve instead of the hp curve. The hp is more for acceleration, the torque is what is making the cut. Whenever I need to get maximum MRR the first thing I do is bust out the manual and find the power curves and then try and set my sfm to rpm that coincides with max torque, then you just add radial and axial DOC until you are at the load meter limit, or limits of your tooling and fixturing.

Not all spindles are created equal so its important to actually do some test cuts using the torque curve of the spindle and use a MRR calculator to determine which spindle is most efficient. One spindle might get best MRR at 15k rpm, another at 10k rpm, and another at 6k rpm. BUT it is possible for the one at 6k to actually have the best MRR.