Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 viewsheets

Newbeeee™

Been using this for rotary work and it's great :cheers:

But for basic 2 op (3ax mill) work we don't bother using them, as it's just op1, flip and op 2 finish.

Therefore, is there a way to set viewsheets so if we load a file that uses them, mcam can 'turn them on' automatically.

It looks like you have to remember you used them and then enable viewsheets, or have viewsheets always enabled whether you use them or not?

cheeers

Best way I can think of is using a template file setup that way. I think you can even setup a short cut to certain file that is your template. That way when you click on that icon on your desktop to open the file it is essence will open up Mastercam and be done with it.

Here is one with 5 views done for a HMC machine. Save it to your desktop and when you are going to start a file you double click it and then go from there.

Also make sure in Settings/Configuration/Screen/Viewhsheets you have enable on Start-up turned on. For those that would like the ability to use Mastercam sometimes with and without view sheets you can make different .config files and on your shortcuts just point the target to them like so: "C:\Program Files\mcamx7\Mastercam.exe" mcamx.config making this one non-viewsheet and then save one with view.config and then have a second Mastercam Icon with that as its target location like so: "C:\Program Files\mcamx7\Mastercam.exe" view.config. Now you have the ability to have Mastercam open with or without viewsheets turned on and with a template file set up like you want then you are good to go.

Edited by Crazy^Millman

Thanks Ron,

Yes, I will get around to creating a template file for our rotary work.

What you suggest will obviously work for new files creating from scratch, but if it is an existing file with viewsheets used, and the last time mastercam was opened viewsheets weren't enabled, it looks like you won't know that they have been used because your file will open with them disabled (when they are embeded within).

So the way around it today has been to add text in big font on the main level saying 'viewsheets used' and save and close out.

So when the file gets re-opened, we would instantly know to enable them and we can then use them.

Anyone else got any thoughts and I'll submit an enhancement request?

:cheers:

As far as I know that logic was never given any thought. I assume you could write a chook that could look for that flag in a mcx file and do it, but I assume you would have to run that chook or vb script on load up first and then have it go from there. With me it is either I use it or I don't and to be honest I do not use it and have not used it and do not teach it to people. Some people love it and I see it could have a use, but with programming for so many different companies and trying to get all the different programmers to all do it the way I do it is not an easy task. No View Sheets was the way for many years before they came about and I always talk about changing things, but with view sheets I have found the majority of people I work with do not use them, so best for me not to use them as well. Besides lie you said if they do not have it on then they would never see all that work and effort anyway if I did use them.

Hey Ron - c'mon and get with the times :hrhr:

Once you use them for rotary work, I don't think you'll go back.

Jay - neat guitar playing. You are multi-talented :D

You know I'm starting to like the new verify, but presently I still prefer the old backplot.

To answer your question - Mcam recognises an existing file that uses viewsheets correctly, when the config is changed to activate all the time.

But we're probably only using 4th axis 20% of the time, so we kept the viewsheets default off purely for a little more graphics area and less clutter to be honest.

I guess my original question was just to check that we are using it correctly and asking if there was a way of automatic recognition.

But it looks like there isn't then.

For now, we'll continue to add a big note in the file and save out with it visible so it won't be missed.

I'll submit an enhancement request.

Newbee I have my right click all customized out to give me all the different standard views with the right click. Anything special is just a few clicks of the mouse if not already set to it. If the Plane is the one I am programming to then just again a right click where gview = cplane and done. I have multi-axis programmed for years and here is what my right click looks like.

RIGHTMOUSECLICK_zps32dab83a.png

RIGHTMOUSECLICKPLANES_zps65eb080c.png

Why I like Mastercam we all can develop what works for us and make it like we need to do the jobs we need. On 5th axis work having 30 to 100 view sheets would not be practical since that is how many different planes I can have.

On 5th axis work having 30 to 100 view sheets would not be practical since that is how many different planes I can have.

Oh, fully understand now. Wasn't questioning you one bit Ron, but for 4th and Hori work I think they are a great thing for me

But yes, the old 5axis stuff can obviously become pretty involved at times - probably best to be avoided really :lol:

So have you added the turn on and off view sheets either to a maped key or add it to the right key like some of the stuff that Ron did.

You do know in the video that was all backblot and not Verify right. lol

Ps buy the way this is an old project I brought into X7 sense this hole thing was done in X5 liked the view sheets back then.I just removed X4 and X5 from my system.leaving X6 and X7.

Sorry it seems like I am coming across rough these days not my intention at all. I guess working from home all this time and not out in a shop is making me mean. :help: I was just trying to offer a different thought was all and did not take anything you said calling it into question per say more of here is what I am thinking since you can't be sure. :D

So have you added the turn on and off view sheets either to a maped key or add it to the right key like some of the stuff that Ron did.

You do know in the video that was all backblot and not Verify right. lol

Ps buy the way this is an old project I brought into X7 sense this hole thing was done in X5 liked the view sheets back then.I just removed X4 and X5 from my system.leaving X6 and X7.

No, haven't mapped a key but may do.

Yes, I realise that was backplot :rolleyes: - perhaps I should lose a couple of eeee's off the newbeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

And I still like the old backplot better at the moment :D

• Like 1

Sorry it seems like I am coming across rough these days not my intention at all. I guess working from home all this time and not out in a shop is making me mean. :help: I was just trying to offer a different thought was all and did not take anything you said calling it into question per say more of here is what I am thinking since you can't be sure. :D

No appology needed Ron so take that right back!!!

Don't ever stop offering a different thought/approach - you're one of the biggest assets here for learning from and the way you sometimes look at things is waaaay different (in a good way :D).

Thanks and kind of needed that. Being Left handed I see the world totally different than right handed people. All my setup and parts have the origin if not from the center of rotation always starting on the left. Right handed people always seem to start with the origin on the right. Many years people were telling me how wrong and crazy I was for starting on the left with my setup when they started on the right. I almost got in a knock down drag us out the door over it one day. Shop foreman called me stupid and an idiot for setting a part that way. I called him the same thing right back to his face and he was not happy. It took the owners wife who was left handed to set him straight. The owner and the shop foreman were right handed and since I did not do it their way it was wrong. Was not until she stepped in and and made them see left handed people look at the world different they they quit calling me stupid.

Ron,

I'm like you, I started using view sheets at one point but decided it was more of a hassle than what its worth. I use the right-click menu for my views now. I'm right handed but I must think like I'm left handed because all my origins are on the left as well.

Aaron, oh you're such a tease :rolleyes:

No I haven't reported it and it looks like I don't have to either as it's (rightfully) in the pipeline.

Will it be in the next mu of X7 or are you guys not going to do this?

Otherwise is 8 in beta yet? I have been accepted as a tester but never taken it up because of time contraints, but could load at home and take dongle home to use (although I hate the idea of losing or forgetting the dongle)?

I understand the questions could be controversial - by all means PM me if you don't want to publically answer.

Aaron, oh you're such a tease :rolleyes:

No I haven't reported it and it looks like I don't have to either as it's (rightfully) in the pipeline.

Will it be in the next mu of X7 or are you guys not going to do this?

Otherwise is 8 in beta yet? I have been accepted as a tester but never taken it up because of time contraints, but could load at home and take dongle home to use (although I hate the idea of losing or forgetting the dongle)?

I understand the questions could be controversial - by all means PM me if you don't want to publically answer.

I know, it's horrible :) There will be an Mu2 coming to beta soon, but it's really only small changes based on customer feedback, not interface stuff. We're keeping it that way, so our international/translating & 3rd party (i.e.: verisurf) don't have to worry about it breaking anything. Mu1 had a bunch of new features which changed the interface & SDK, so it was difficult for the guys working behind the scenes to keep up, and we don't want to do that to them again :)

X8 is not in the hands of the Beta guys yet. Since you're in the program, keep your eyes on the ol' inbox (or beta section of the forum, of course)...

Ron - Glad to hear it :) Don't let Newbeeee say "I told ya so" too many times!

Edit: removed a bit of redundancy and made it a bit clearer.

Newbeeeeeeeeeee *gasp* eeeeee - I'm not sure if you reported this or not, and I'm sure how I overlooked the thread, but here's what you get if you open a file with viewsheets in X8 if you have that feature turned off. :) Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Aaron,

Before it's too late, can the viewsheet toolbar be changed to be un-pinned? That way it will hide when we don't need it and come back when hovering over it?

Just a thought?

Well then, come by the shop and sniff some coolant with us!!

We'll get you fixed right up, chips and noise included.

Ya gotta get out now and then, you know what happens when you stay at the keyboard too long!