Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing toolpaths to a revisioned part

Coffindan

Hey everyone!

First time poster here. I am using Mastercam 7 and I have a question.

I have a part that has several drilled holes and a contoring operation. Two of the holes that are drilled and tapped have been removed in the latest revision of the part. I removed the operations but would like to update the model of the part to show that those are no longer there. I have seen a tech import operations from one part into another. I imported an iges of the new part from PROE and placed it the way it is on the original mastercam file. The operations imported but they are dirty and I cannot regenerate them. What am I missing and is there another way to show that the drilled and tapped holes are gone(from the actual solid model).

Thanks

Daniel

When you import toolpath operations, they come in "dirty" because they are not associated to any geometry in the new file. Under each toolpath, select "Geometry" and pick the respective holes/contours etc.

And with respect to showing the tapped holes are gone, I thought you said you imported the new part from PROE? Does the new file not reflect the two tapped holes as removed?

Well I did an iges file out from PROE and opened it with Mastercam. So that iges file reflects the two holes that are gone. It's the original mastercam file with previous PROE iges file that has the holes in it.

I will try to associate the geometry from the new part to the imported toolpaths. Thanks!

Can you not just export the operations from rev A with export operation geometry selected and then reimport it into a new Rev B file with new model and keep both rev's of your part only programming the same operations once (or in your case all operations with the difference only being the 2 less holes that need to be altered). So if they ever go back to a previous rev you still have your original file.

If you make sure to up pick geo that is not defining the solid for tool paths (I put it on different level) it is a lot easier to just delete all entities not being used. Then you merger new solid and orientate in same position as old solid. Exporting and Importing toolpaths and tooling works. I try to only use it on family parts not revision changes.

If you make sure to up pick geo that is not defining the solid for tool paths (I put it on different level) it is a lot easier to just delete all entities not being used. Then you merger new solid and orientate in same position as old solid. Exporting and Importing toolpaths and tooling works. I try to only use it on family parts not revision changes.

How do you go about reworking a part made from a old revision then?

I am just not a fan of deleting anything that was used to make a good part in the past for above mentioned reason. Say the new rev fails and they have to go back a rev now you are repeating the process again to get back where you started.

If you are deadset keeping the old associated geometry then use the "Only display associated geometry" copy it to a new level and delete all other levels and bring in your new model.

Hey everyone!

First time poster here. I am using Mastercam 7 and I have a question.

I have a part that has several drilled holes and a contoring operation. Two of the holes that are drilled and tapped have been removed in the latest revision of the part. I removed the operations but would like to update the model of the part to show that those are no longer there. I have seen a tech import operations from one part into another. I imported an iges of the new part from PROE and placed it the way it is on the original mastercam file. The operations imported but they are dirty and I cannot regenerate them. What am I missing and is there another way to show that the drilled and tapped holes are gone(from the actual solid model).

Thanks

Daniel

This is because when you imported the operations you didn't select "export operations geometry" when you exported your operations