Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

W2K or WinXP

I am asking for opinions on weather you like W2K or WinXP better overall and with Mastercam. I'm planning on building a new box for myself and am trying to make a decision.

[ 10-10-2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Marc Lindsey at San Diego CAD CAM ]

Well I use Win2k at work and WinXP at home and like both and they seem to be stable on both so say it is to personal preference. I send stuff home all the time to work on and have no problems and vice versa so sorry have to say personally I like what XP does for the home envoirment and liek what 2k does for the work envoirmnet.

Crazy Millman

Nowadays, you might as well go with Windows XP Pro. Microsoft axes support for older OSs and apps all the time. Windows NT4 and Windows 98 support ended last year. Windows 2000 support will obviously end before Windows XP. This is all in the name of Microsoft's initiatives to improve the security of their swiss cheese-like software.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I prefer Win2k Pro. Stability of NT4, Plug and Play of 98 and tons of Driver Support. Also, 2k Pro doesn't have all that "Eye Candy" garbage. Turn that crap off and K.I.S.S. (meant for the folks at Microsoft).

JM2C

BEFCMU10 is model #

I guess "older" is a relative term here. I loose internet connection frequently and XP keeps saying that it's recovered from device driver errors. Had to wait several months after getting new computer for XP/Linksys driver to appear. I just looked on the Linksys site a couple weeks ago for a newer one, but the date was the same as what I had. confused.gif It works great most of the time. Long inactivity seems to screw things up.

quote:

XP pro and older Linksys cable modem don't play well together.

Sounds like a USB cable modem since Ethernet cable modems don't require drivers or anything. In that case, ditch the resource-sucking USB modem and get a real Ethernet one.

quote:

Whew! So it's NOT just about $

Actually, it is. Their Trustworthy Computing Initiative is just a smoke 'n' mirros way to keep existing Microsoft customers happy and to give the illusion that Windows/Office/Internet Explorer are becoming more secure. "You mean there's a safe, secure and free alternative to Office?" Umm, ya, there is. Microsoft isn't liking that.

quote:

I am asking for opinions on weather you like W2K or WinXP better overall and with Mastercam. I'm planning on building a new box for myself and am trying to make a decision.

I'd go with XP Pro for a new system. Win2K is stable and solid enough, but XP has some nice recovery features that Win2K lacks. And the revised start menu is pretty cool, once you get used to it. As for the (often unplesant) WinXP interface, you can disable it easily. Go to the 'Apperance' tab of the display properties dialog and select 'Classic' and there you are.

Stop and disable the Themes service and set the Start menu to "Classic" and visually, it's Windows 2000. Setting the interface itself to "Classic" merely applies a Windows 2000-like theme. On the other hand, if the Themes service does not run, the UI returns to the Windows you all know and love, while saving RAM in the process.

Thanks for all the opinions. I think I'm going to go with XP this time. I need to learn the operating system so I con work on other computers. Also, Charles installed it on all the computers in the classroom.