Mic6

What toolpath would work best here? **2015 Update**

Do you have the multi axis module?

YES

im pretty sure you cant do that with just axis substitution.i could be wrong but ive tried it and could not get it to work.

I should've said what's the best way to get this done with a 4th axis?   Thanks

YES

I should've said what's the best way to get this done with a 4th axis?   Thanks

Mic the tpath I would start with would be morph between two curves.

The TAC is gonna be challenging,

I would probably create a surface and keep it normal

You could also create a floor at the depth you need keeping the tool radius in mind and use Morph between two surfaces. Parallel to Curves may do it as well (select the OD surface as your single edge). Without actually looking at the model, unless you have back tapered walls, 3 axis would be all you need.

Okay guys, I'll try these.  Thanks for the replies

You could also create a floor at the depth you need keeping the tool radius in mind and use Morph between two surfaces. Parallel to Curves may do it as well (select the OD surface as your single edge). Without actually looking at the model, unless you have back tapered walls, 3 axis would be all you need.

this would work with using rotary motion?

Here is a run at it,...

using morph between curves, locked rotary to 4 axis,TAC using side tilt 45, orthographic to lower edge curve

• Like 3

How about a Surface Finnish Blend converted to 5 axis  

Sometimes old school rulz!

2015-02-24_8-24-06_zps9596a592.png

Coons converted to 5 axis VERY nicely

coons5axis_zpsc0c219c6.png

and a quick video on the chaining technique for using the Coons path if you've never used it, you do need a Mill 3 license to use it

TUBEWINDOW_JP.mcx-8

coons_JP.mcx-8

wow all great ideas!

the job I did was a lot of parts.i actually took a rad tool with a tiny center and 3d contoured it using one of the edge curves.i had to slightly modify the rad tool but it came out looking great,it ran very fast, and the customer was happy even though it was not a "full" rad all the way around.

I also had to radius the inside of the slot in the tube too. I used a backwards rad tool from Harvey Tool and it worked just as well driving off of one of the edge curves inside the tube.

all of this was with the rotary locked in position with the slot facing upwards

Thanks JP and CJ.  This multiaxis stuff is new to me so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I wonder how many people will be too busy over in OT to even read this thread? 2 great ways to do this job and majority of people coming to this site will miss out on it.

• Like 5

Just came in for that reason :)   And because we have a table here we aren't using, and stuff like that is exactly what would be easy on it

hey my 3rd way with the rad tool was no good???

just kidding ill have to try the ways mentioned here!

It is a way, but the 2 ways shown here provided something someone could follow.

• Like 1

I'm trying JPs Finish Blend Converted toolpath.  1st issue is the tool starts down at the bottom of the radius and works up.  I tried reordering the chain selection, but it didnt help.  Also, when I posted, I got the below error.

4therror.jpg

Starting position

4thstart.jpg

That error message suggests you're using the Convert to 5 axis option....if so, make sure on your axis selection page you lock it down to 4 axis

hey my 3rd way with the rad tool was no good???

just kidding ill have to try the ways mentioned here!

You could use the radius tool in a simultaneous 4, you could use curve 5 axis with lines for the TAC, sometimes getting the tool to comp correctly is a pain though

not to get too far off but I didn't turn the rotary at all except to position it so rad comp was always perfect but the depth I had to fudge.i only used 3d contour for the toolpath with wear comp.the part I thought would be a nightmare was putting the same rad on the underside.practically impossible with surfacing.the reverse underside rad tool worked great 1st try!

this was a 1.25 slot with full rad ends in a 5 in tube with a 3/8 wall,the slot had .125 radius around the slots on the top and underneeth.

I originally thought the best path (for the top of the slots)would be wireframe and drive the rad geo around the edge curves of the slot.this gave a good continuous toolpath but would not look at any surfaces so it gouged a bit as it went around at the farthest point outward.

"1st issue is the tool starts down at the bottom of the radius and works up."

That is the exact strategy I would employ for finishing rads of this nature. Less wear on the tool as the side of the cutter hits first.

Switching the chaining order should have worked. Strange.