Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.OBJ Source File

BrianP.

A customer who has a customer says he can only get .OBJ source file from them. Any one got a clue as to what this is and can you work from it? From what I gather it can be a:

"Three-dimensional object containing 3D coordinates, texture maps, and other object information; a standard 3D image format that can be exported and opened by several 3D image editing programs."

Thanks

Opening it and seeing if there's even anything usable is going to the hard part I think

http://file-extensio...-file-extension

You're not going to find too many manufacturing people with the necessary plug-in as it's not real world but "play world" computer graphic driven it appears

Real world vs. play world. I like. Will probably use it in the future so long as you have not copyrighted it lol. Thanks guys. kinda what I figured. Will try the Rhino if we get this.

It is just an STL file saved in that format. Rhino can open and some other software. Best to work with as an STL in Mastercam. If you have Verisurf Reverse you can do some slicing and other things to help you machine it. With the area select function you could take an file that may be 20 or 30 pieces and divide it up into the parts very easily.