Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant Maintenance

charlie

I've searched the Forum and didn't see any mention of a coolant called Power-Cut HD made by Power Coolant & Chemical. Has anyone heard of this stuff or had any experience with it? They are also trying to sell us a bactericide called Kathon CC. We currently use Blaser 4000 Strong LF in our 7 CNC's which cut primarily stainless steel C450 & cast stainless 410 & 420. Have had consistent bacteria problems past 3+ yrs. Started using DI water 7 mo. ago, didn't help. Although, admittedly we have not been good about regular coolant maintenance. Any suggestions appreciated.

A well maintained coolant system should not need any biocide. I have not cut ss extensively, only when I had to and mostly 420 before and after hardening. Don't be fooled biocides are not good for the operator or the machine itself. I am not farmiliar with either of the products you mentioned but all biocides are essentially the same, they remove the oxygen in whatever they touch which essentially kills everything living. There are many coolant manufacturers, see what other companies offer you.

HTH

[ 10-17-2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Roger Peterson ]

Yeah I mean why worry about smeel and coolant being full of oil that help to keep the machine from rusting right. I gte the remark all the time. I put a PO for a skimmer and they want let me spend the money. We can go buy a $4000 weight system people to use or a $3500 stainless steel refigator for the break room but let me spend $220 dollars on a skimmer.

LOL Rekd your is still oil mine usuallt turn to experimens we see will live in jars use yo have about 20 jars on a shelf at one palce to see which one would keep growing outside the chip and coolant rich envoriment. One thing I did like about the VTC series Mazak coolt was seprate from Way oild wya oild drained out the back of the machine not into the coolant tank.

Crazy Millman

Millman, here's a great test to see how bad your coolant really is..

From time to time you've prolly seen a fly buzzing around inside the machine, right? Take your air gun and blow his xxxx down into the coolant and see how long it lives.

1-3 seconds = pretty damn bad (That's usually how long they last in my machines)

4 or more seconds = not so bad.

And for those PITA members out there... TFB! I also catch flies at home, rip a wing off, then toss it into the big xxxx spider webs and watch them get slapped, wrapped and capped by the 3/4" dia spiders at my house.

'Rekd teh Subjugator

charlie

we mainly cut steel in our cnc's. aluuminum every now and again. we use tech cool 3500 in

our machines.we check them once every two weeks with a gauge that measures the mixture of the tech cool and water. it not only keeps the rust away it doesn't smell. it costs about $45.oo dollars for five gallons. if you mix it right which is real easy to do it really works great.

cheers.gif marty cheers.gif

Cool Avatar Harry, I got the stuff not as bad you Rekd but in one place I had to take an old pull broach machine and swtich it over from a oil over to a water souable system Machine was about 35 years old and probaly never really cleaned out. I threw up about dozen times and seen stuff I never knew existed. Amazing what amulm and stell look like in a slug state after rusing and decomposeing to that point.

I would take the adive of other a good system should not need a dangouer chemical to keep it stable. I also reccommend when chanign a systme get baking soda and netrulize the machine and clean it even after a good cleaner Like Valcool or others offer.

Crazy Millman

It's already a nonsmoking shop. But thanks. tongue.gif

I'm thinking under water... or whatever you call that stuff in the tank. Ozone generators exist for hot tubs. I have one, but it's staying in the tub!

Gonna be a nice night for tubbing here tonight. cool.gif

Thanks Millman, It's the tank badge on my bike. smile.gif

[ 10-17-2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Harryman ]

I've always been a coolant nut trying over 20 different manufacturer's coolant's through out the years, and have finally decided to stick with Castrol products. I've tried semi-synthetics, full synthetics, and straight water based coolants, and in our shop, Castrol always comes out on top. The reason I tried others after using Castrol, was cost. I find Castrol's products to be the most expensive out there, however after trying so many others, I believe there must be a difference. Also, I don't believe you can find another manufacturer that makes so many different types of coolant than Castrol. I swear they have a coolant for every situation. They must have at least 50 different versions or more. Call Castrol customer service and speak with a rep. They can guide you through all the variations and get you out a sample to try. They will even send a rep. down to your shop to oversee the whole project if necessary. There customer service is second to none.

On another note, if your using high pressure coolant systems, you'll really appreciate some of the Castrol products. Depending upon the product, they offer some of the least foaming coolants out there. I just purchased two Chipblaster HPC systems, and the guys out at Chipblaster were amazed at the low foaming of the Castrol Alusol A product I had to send them(I purchased Chipblaster's optional coolant concentrate controller and they have to send your coolant out to a lab to get some K factor ratings if they haven't set a machine up with your coolant). They also informed me that you can't just add a nonfoaming agent directly into your coolant with their HPC system, as their 1 and 5 micron filters will just pull the anti foaming agent out, and you'll have tons of foam.

The above is just my experience with alot of different coolants. Hope it helps.

[ 10-19-2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: DrewG ]