Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verticle mill opinions

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we should be able to get the hitachi back up and going without buying a new cam-box from mori. :fun:

Still looking for another machine though...

Have been looking at the Okuma Genos M560, Matsuura VX-1000, Doosan DNM 500, and the DMG-Mori 5100.

Its kind of difficult doing an apples to apples comparison between machines and all the quotes we have gotten are a bit different as far as  options, controls etc. To add to that I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to this stuff and not 100% sure what I need as far as controls go. Most of the work we do is machining form tooling from A2 for automotive prototypes. I need something capable of running 3d contours fast, but need to keep in mind that our form tooling doesn't need super finishes or to be super accurate....

Out of that list the Okuma blows the machines out of the water...the only thing would be the control. If you want to do surfacing you are going to need the 31i control which I think is an expensive option on the DNM500. I have the oi DNM500 and its surfacing abilities leave a lot on the table compared to my Nh5000 fanuc 31i.

A friend of mine surfaces aluminum @ 300-500ipm on his okuma and the surface finishes are amazing.

Looks like T33 in the video had some toolpath filtering issues; it kept slowing down.

It's kind of hard to see in that video but that part has .025 raised block lettering (OKUMA). That is what is causing the slow down in the feedrate. It is slowing to hold tolerance on the slight corner break on the top edge of the lettering. Here is a different version of that same part that shows the lettering a little better.

• Like 3

It's kind of hard to see in that video but that part has .025 raised block lettering (OKUMA). That is what is causing the slow down in the feedrate. It is slowing to hold tolerance on the slight corner break on the top edge of the lettering. Here is a different version of that same part that shows the lettering a little better.

I was also going to point that out. I was disappointed when they just milled it off because I wanted to know what it said.

Out of that list the Okuma blows the machines out of the water...the only thing would be the control. If you want to do surfacing you are going to need the 31i control which I think is an expensive option on the DNM500. I have the oi DNM500 and its surfacing abilities leave a lot on the table compared to my Nh5000 fanuc 31i.

A friend of mine surfaces aluminum @ 300-500ipm on his okuma and the surface finishes are amazing.

Yes 12 grand more for the 32-i controller with 15k spindle don't really need that many rpm but the better control I think is a must. We have a Mag fadal with fanuc 01-MC controller and it gets jerky when I want it to go quickly.

Take the same part to each of those mfg's and run it on each machine.

Its more valuable then listening to the sales guys.

Thanks for the suggestion. :unworthy: