Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Knurling in MC

Master Whidbey

I would think you would do it the same way I did it on any lathe you write a single pass like a finish operation. I defined the tool as a regular tool then gave it the correct offset once it was set for the dia and went from there. I would use the face as my z0 for the tool then I would make a dia bigger ands make that my teach dia for the tool. I would then make a chain to come up to the part in z axis big then down in x axis till enganged inot the Dia to make the knurl the back off in x to clerance Dia then IU would do the retract. I would cutter my tool offset to control how much pressure for the knurl. I was always so a step knurl in X aaxis doing a back in forth in Z if I did not have a CNC lathe wit hthe xxxx needed to knurl. I would also look at corenr use style knurlers or convex style so you keep the amount of contacted surface down.

Good Luck

Crazy Millman

Just a finish pass should work. The tough part is tweaking in the offsets. If you are using a double roll, you can't preset the thing. And you won't know how far to impress till you try it. Start about 1/3 of the roller width on the part, feed in and across. Scrap part, tweak offset, tweak feedrate, repeat. Sometimes the knurl roll and part diameters and pitch are just right and everything goes great. And sometimes everything is just wrong and you get a mess. If you're getting a mess, use your size tolerance to start with a larger or smaller diameter to try to hit the diameters and pitch sweet spot.

Knurling sux. tongue.gif

[ 10-23-2003, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Harryman ]

Ah knurling.

Use a finish pass as Mick posted

quote:

I did a knurling toolpath in Mastercam yesterday, and used a Finish toolpath, and defined the tool as a external grooving tool, with the width matching the width of the knurling roller.

It worked a treat.

I like to feed back off my part tho. feed in, feed out. like a g85 bore cycle in mill. prolly need to edit that Z move into the program.

-Keith

• 17 years later...

I'm at this point this morning.  I talked to our machinist about running some knurls and I need to get it on MC.  My first thought was exactly what I'm reading here.  I'll call it a grooving tool and just run a finish pass.  Thanks for the confirmation .  It seemed to make sense and this forum has confirmed it.