Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plunge Tool Down

DH

Hi,

I have a problem with plunging the tool down, let say, I want to cut a pocket, first I have to drill a hole (1/2 Diameter), and then I like to have 1/2" End Mill plunge down to that hole before cutting a pocket, but Mastercam did not give me that function. So the only thing I can do is to write down the location of what mastercam generate toolpath automatically, and I drill a hole there. So I

totally cannot control where I want to plunge the end mill down before making a pocket. By the way, I have use a Surfcam software and it has a plunging function. And I totally control where I want the tool plunge down before making a cut. Any suggestion on Mastercam how to plunge a tool down before making a pocket? Thanks.

DH

Hi,

Thank for all, I click the point first and then the chain of a pocket itself, Except for every time the tool move to that hole to make another depth of cut, the tool itself rapid up to rapid plane and move to that hole and then feed down to the depth. It kinds of wasting time. I like to keep the tool down without rapid to rapid plane. So the only thing I can do is to edit NC program. Instead of

G00 Z2.0

X3.0 Y2.0

G01 Z-.5 F5.0

I edit like this:

G01 X3.0 Y2.0

Z-.5

So again, it kinds of wasting time when I edit these G-codes. Any suggestions on how to keep the tool down? Thank for your help all. I really appreciate it.

DH

On the pocketing parameters page there is a button labeled Depth cuts.

One of the options is

"Keep tool down"

If you check that, the tool stays down between plunge cuts.

Keep in mind that the tool moves back to the

hole you drilled at the programmed feedrate.

It is not cutting metal while it tavels back to the plunge point.

If you are programming a large pocket, you may get a better cycle time by allowing the tool to rapid up , then over to the plunge point and down to the new plunge plane.

[This message has been edited by gcode (edited 03-25-2001).]

Hi DH,

Have you checked out the pocket entry features - Helix, Ramp, and Follow Contour?

You can omit the drilling operation completely by using one of them. The 'Follow Contour' entry is really clever.

(I havent drilled a start hole for a pocket toolpath since Ver 5).

BerTau

Hi!

This afternoon, I tried to use mastercam version 7 to make a pocket, it worked fine. I clicked the plunge point first and the pocket chain after. When I clicked keep tool down box, it gave me feed move to the plunge point. When I did not click keep tool down, it gave me rapid move. I think there was a bug on mastercam version 8. What do you guys think?

DH