Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cimco editor v5 ~ v6

Jeff2005

Are you using the Cimco licensed editor or the editor that installs with Mcam?

If you're using the standalone editor you need to open the Cimco folder loaded in the C: drive and rename the executable that launches Cimco.

For instance I have a licensed Cimco Edit version 7 installed, i renamed the executable to CimcoEdit_V7

Then open the Mcam system config,

Go to the Start/Exit page,

Lower center there is a drop down to change editors,

Go to "other" and you will be able to use the Win browser to select the new Cimco editor

You can also use the Win browser to make certain that Mcam is directed to C: program files/ mcamx7/ common/ editors/ Cimco Edit6 if you're using the OEM editor.

If that is not the case then I'm guessing you may have brought over your config file from the previous version install, if that's the case then you have a number of file mapping issues.

Thank you Rocketmachinist, I have tried this and it didn't work. Cjep: I am using what was loaded with Mcam.

Ok,.. however Cimco edit 5 was part of an earlier Mcam install, did you try merging or copying your config file from a previous install of Mcam?

The default install when changing the editor to Cimco should direct to the file map in the previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll put in my 2 cents.  I don't care for any off the editors with X7.  That code expert sucks.  Always locking up.  Notepad is the best one for me and thats not saying a whole lot for MasterCam.  Anyway to use the MasterCam editor that was in X6, to work with X7?  I like to see the file size at the bottom of the window and none of the ones that come with X7 have that.  When i program, i have to watch how big the programs are since our old cnc machines have limited capacity for file size.

CNCworker, sorry you feel this way.. BUT

I like to see the file size at the bottom of the window and none of the ones that come with X7 have that.

Cimco does this and so you must of not tried that editor. I must say I cannot be-leave in this day in age that anyone would use Notepad as an editor when there are many choices.

Have you downloaded the full version of Cimco edit 7 and taken for a test drive?

here is a link with the link to download a 30day trial.

Thanks for the input Jay, but the boss would never buy a 3rd party editor when mastercam already has one.  I just went into config, and changed the editor to the one that came with X6.  Works great for me and its what i'm used to.  I don't need all the compare and other jazz of the higher end editors.

Thanks for the input Jay, but the boss would never buy a 3rd party editor when mastercam already has one.  I just went into config, and changed the editor to the one that came with X6.  Works great for me and its what i'm used to.  I don't need all the compare and other jazz of the higher end editors.

Jay just explained that the Cimco Editor has the function you want. The Cimco Edit bundled with Mastercam, that you have installed and can use, displays the file size in the lower right hand corner of the window. And that comes with X7.