Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc Oi-MD maths for position

I played with this today. Using the offset, work offset screen. I touch X- direction and then press X0 measure. So now my G54 and absolute value equel zero at the X-. position. Now I dial the X+ direction.

I get an absolute figure which is equel to the G54 position. I tried all posible maths in the controller and NONE work. So my point still remains you have to use a calculator to divide the found distance by 2.

Once I have the distance divided by 2 I can then enter this calculated value as X(Value) Measure. Now the G54 is set to the centre of the block.

I find it strange that a Fanuc controller of today can not do simple maths. Love my Mori!!!

P.S Doing Toolmaking I always work from centre of the block, wether its a bolster, insert, core or cavity. That is why I clock my jobs up perfect.

• Like 1
Guest MTB Technical Services

I did not miss anything, I´ve just learned from experience that when you start eye balling your program zeros on easy parts and save maybe 5 seconds doing so,  sooner or later you scrap a part because of this. I prefer using one certain way of taking my work zeros that works almost every workpiece and its just happens to be the most accurate way also.

I dont even remember when was the last time I Scrapped a part because of wrongly placed program zero so atleast it has worked for me, everyone else can use what ever works best for them.

If you can't eyeball a pointer to a intersection point within 0.030 on a piece of RAW STOCK, you shouldn't be allowed near a cycle start button.

The idea that you need to pick up zero to a dead-nuts position on a piece of raw rectangular stock is just plain nonsense.

Besides, your next piece will NOT be the same, even with a part stop on the vise. ;)

Band saws aren't precision cutting tools.

31 years old and you're experienced?

Please....

Kids :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I find it strange that a Fanuc controller of today can not do simple maths. Love my Mori!!!

Yup, my Mori Duravertical (fanuc) have the math functions built it the controller.  

Touch X- side, Measure button,  X+ side, then intermediate button.  The controller puts the center of the part (X axis) coordinate into G54 offset.

Repeat for Y. 

maybe takes 1.5min for me to do XYZ  with a 3D taster

If you can't eyeball a pointer to a intersection point within 0.030 on a piece of RAW STOCK, you shouldn't be allowed near a cycle start button.

The idea that you need to pick up zero to a dead-nuts position on a piece of raw rectangular stock is just plain nonsense.

Besides, your next piece will NOT be the same, even with a part stop on the vise. ;)

Band saws aren't precision cutting tools.

31 years old and you're experienced?

Please....

Kids :rolleyes:

You dont know what kind of work I do or my background so please save you belitting attitude to somewhere else.

Like David Im also toolmaker so thats why this topic got me writing because we seem to share a same problem.

BTW. I have 18 years of experiece in machining, ten years programming with Mastercam (mostly one off stuff with mill and lathe) and almost all the machines that I have used have had Fanuc control. Im I qualified enough to write in this topic?

If the control has a "CALC" button, it can do "Maths". (I still :rofl: when I see that).

You would just manually move to your position, type X[10.5/2] CALC, then it leaves you with X5.25 in the prompt area, then you just press measure. Easy peasy.

Mori... it's not the old man's machine anymore... It's significantly less of a machine tool. Even Haas has some really nice control features but it's still a Haas. Mori is now the Japanese Haas.

:coffee:

Guest MTB Technical Services

Even Haas has some really nice control features but it's still a Haas. Mori is now the Japanese Haas.

I thought Mazak had that title :p

Mazak is Japanese for 'Boat Anchor',

If the control has a "CALC" button, it can do "Maths". (I still :rofl: when I see that).

You would just manually move to your position, type X[10.5/2] CALC, then it leaves you with X5.25 in the prompt area, then you just press measure. Easy peasy.

Mori... it's not the old man's machine anymore... It's significantly less of a machine tool. Even Haas has some really nice control features but it's still a Haas. Mori is now the Japanese Haas.

I just read through this thread and it seems to me like there was some misunderstanding going on. On absolutely none of our Fanucs can we do what you wrote as none of them have a "calc" button. When I set up the Fanucs I do exactly what OP and MTB described--find my X/Y extents, bust out a calculator, and "MEASURE" the result. There is no need to move the spindle back to the center to to a measurement, however our Fanuc controllers cannot do the simple "maths" like OP wants.

Our Okuma can  do the calculations, so I just type in 10.5/2 and hit "calc" like you described.

Having that magical "calc" button saves all of about 2.5 seconds of setup time.

Not Everyone can own a Matt or a Hermle.  I Don't care what you say, we have a Haas and a mori.  There's no comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

What I'm saying is I don't know the overall sizes of the block. I touch X- direction I then touch X+ direction. I get a relative figure of 100.256. Now I have to use a calculator don't I?

The controller will not do X100.256/2. "measure"

Have you considered using a macro to write to your offsets automatically? If you know how to manipulate your system variables you should be able to get the outcome you desire without having to use a calculator.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Have you considered using a macro to write to your offsets automatically? If you know how to manipulate your system variables you should be able to get the outcome you desire without having to use a calculator.

Hello. I am new here. Been lurking here for a while trying to get a feel for this forum. I am an AE at Doosan Infracore. No, our controls do not have a "calc" button but, like MTB stated, our Ease of Operation Option Package does have this. I read this with great interest waiting for someone to bring up system variables like DavidB did. He beat me to it.

Keep a chart of the pertinent system variables handy. Powerful tools there.

#5221(G54,X axis)=[#5021(current machine position, x axis)+or-[1004/2]]

These variables are in your Fanuc manuals and in the Macro B programming manual.

Paul