Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc OI-MD Memory Card issues

Hertz

Hi guys, I have been trying for 4 months to figure out our 2 Fanuc machines for transferring programs. Our machine builders are no help, like talking to a stump. Fanuc won't help cause I did not buy their 250.00 compact flash card. That out of the way, here's my issue

No matter what adapter, what brand of card, what size of card I get, both machines spit out "Memory card not formatted"
I was using channel 4 and I tried a 2GB card (Compact flash by the way), 1gb, and 128mb, sandisk brand, Lexar brand and a no name brand, 2 different pcmcia adapters, formatted on pc, also on machine, fat, fat32 and ntfs to no avail. Memory card not formatted always comes up.

I'm starting to think that the machine will have specific parameters to be set for it to work right? When I format from the machine (Start up holding right arrow and right side soft key), the card is recognized, it formats successfully and when I reboot, the memory card not formatted alarm comes up again. I'm at the point of just getting the one from Fanuc but I have a feeling that will do the same thing and then the company is out 250 bucks. Any ideas?

Fanuc 0i-MD

Currently using RS232 cable

Guest MTB Technical Services

It's easier if you format the card on your PC.

Here's everything you need to know.

http://www.mtbtech.net/blog/2012/10/16/High-Capacity-Memory-Card-for-FANUC.aspx

Make sure you read all the comments.

Make sure parameters #138 Bit 7 and  #3404 (SBP) Bit 2 are set to 1.

Also, make sure you are selecting the correct card area when you do a device change.

There maybe a second card softkey shown in the second group of 5 softkeys on the right.

Make sure you are using the softkey shown below.

Memory%20Card.png

If you want to format it on your Control.

I have no idea why you are rebooting the machine after this.

There are other ways to get to the formatting but this works.

Format.png

Been down that road already as mentioned in my 1st post, I tried from the machine AND the computer with Fat, Fat32 and NTFS

By the way its not easier to do on the PC. Its pretty basic to format on the machine, nonetheless, I did what you posted anyway and it still gives the error. That is with the 2GB, 1GB, and 128mb card.

I'm wondering what the odds are that both my adapters are the problem? Would it give that error if the adapter wasn't working properly?

The max card size that can be used is 4GB.

Did you format on a PC using this command line?

If you did all this and it still doesn't work then buying a card from FANUC will be a waste of time and money.

FORMAT <YOUR DRIVE LETTER>: /FS:FAT

0_0_0_0_222_112_csupload_50677983_large.

I supply these adapters direct from PPA and they work without a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/PPA-International-PCMCIA-Compact-Adapter/dp/B0007QQK4M

These are the cards I use without issue.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Compact-Flash-Memory/dp/B004GTF96Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347294087&sr=1-1&keywords=SanDisk+Ultra+Compact+Flash+4GB+Card

It's easier if you format the card on your PC.

Here's everything you need to know.

http://www.mtbtech.net/blog/2012/10/16/High-Capacity-Memory-Card-for-FANUC.aspx

Make sure you read all the comments.

Make sure parameters #138 Bit 7 and  #3404 (SBP) Bit 2 are set to 1.   These are set properly

Also, make sure you are selecting the correct card area when you do a device change.

There maybe a second card softkey shown in the second group of 5 softkeys on the right.   I only have one option like what you have in the screenshot

Make sure you are using the softkey shown below. 

Memory%20Card.png

If you want to format it on your Control.

I have no idea why you are rebooting the machine after this. The machine boots up after I format. I am not formatting it while the machine is booted up. I know some controls have this option, mine does not hence why I do it before it boots. If I try to do like this example, as soon as I hit All IO, the machine flashes "Memory Card Not Formatted"

There are other ways to get to the formatting but this works.

Format.png

The max card size that can be used is 4GB.

I am only using max of 2GB

Its Hyundai VX400

Production date on the back is blank but if I remember correctly, someone told me is was 2008 or 2009

Other machine is 2012 Hyundai L230LMSA

Both give same error

What are the chances of it being the adapter?

While it's possible, I find it very hard to believe that two different adapters give you the same result on two different machines from the same manufacturer.

I'm fairly certain that this is a PMC related issue from Hyundai.

Look inside the electrical cabinets on both machines for another memory card slot.

I know, its very strange to me too. Its the actual machine builder that is selling me the card. They just told me its directly from Fanuc, kind of the middle man. They told me I just need to set IO channel to 4. I'm still not sure to buy it. I have not purchased it yet. Anyway, I looked in the cabinet, I do not see any other slots but I could easily be overlooking it. Lots of overwhelming things in there.

We have a vmc with 18i- mb control that randomly shut down when running programs from memory card. Fanuc tech changed all the hardware inside control cabinet effecting memory card usage but nothing fixed the problem. Last resort he decided to update the control software with a newer version that he happened to have with him. If I remember right he had backed it up from a newer same manufacturers machine that he had serviced. After the update we have had zero problems using memory cards in this machine.  

We have a vmc with 18i- mb control that randomly shut down when running programs from memory card. Fanuc tech changed all the hardware inside control cabinet effecting memory card usage but nothing fixed the problem. Last resort he decided to update the control software with a newer version that he happened to have with him. If I remember right he had backed it up from a newer same manufacturers machine that he had serviced. After the update we have had zero problems using memory cards in this machine.  

We have an old 18i that just started doing that. I'm glad I saw this post.

Ya neither one works. Kind of on the fence right now. I have an offer from someone for a card and adapter for 50 bucks and my boss is suggesting to use the Ethernet on the machines to pull from the server. So I asked our dealer about it and they are getting me the info for it. Still using rs232 for now lol.