Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drawing a shape

Hertz

Hey guys, when drawing a shape, is it possible to draw a rough sketch, then go back after and change the dimensions to the proper values? Kind of like how Solidworks does it. Sometimes I feel making shapes in Mastercam is too long and tedious. Lots of times I will open up SW, draw the sketch, then import it into Mastercam. That being said, does Mcam have a similar option?

I know I'm old school, but I really cannot understand the benefit of 'free form parametric' in design engineering.

We always have size constraints or stock metal size constraints - usually your 1st choice is 1", 2nd choice 1/2" etc.

ie round figures or known sizes.

All this draw a box which doesn't resemble anything then type in the actual size you want seems so remote to me.

That said, I can see the benefit of family of parts where the size is bigger or smaller - save as and then away you go but for concept design, I don't get it.

I know I'm old school, but I really cannot understand the benefit of 'free form parametric' in design engineering.

We always have size constraints or stock metal size constraints - usually your 1st choice is 1", 2nd choice 1/2" etc.

ie round figures or known sizes.

All this draw a box which doesn't resemble anything then type in the actual size you want seems so remote to me.

That said, I can see the benefit of family of parts where the size is bigger or smaller - save as and then away you go but for concept design, I don't get it.

The power is in NEW designs, modifying designs, fixing mistakes etc. Once you spend some time in it you won't get back. But it is a different way of thinking if you are old school and having to specify everything before you even start so to speak.

I grew up with Autocad which draws a lot like Mastercam.  It was difficult learning Solidworks but now that I have, it seems more natural.  What really sold me on parametric modeling, is the use of equations to control dimensions.  For example, making the   length = 2 x width,  so whatever the width is changed to, the length always stays proportional.  That's just a simple example, there's a lot more functionality to it.

In Mastercam, you can go back and change some things.   Like Oppiz said,  Analyze allows you to change the size and location of existing drawing entities.

Another function I use is Stretch, which enables you to move geometry and the connecting geometry stays attached.