Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deep hole drilling question

jeff

I have a 15xD Guhring 1/4" drill that I need to drill approx 5" deep. This hole will pass through the side of another existing 2" bore, BUT I made plugs that will go into that 2" bore so that the 1/4" drill won't drift.

Does anyone forsee any issue with how I'm doing this?

post-1385-0-13206400-1424875610_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

I plan to rotate the plug for each part. I have about a .002" clearance from the plug to the part.

If you rotate the plug, the next hole will be passing through the center of the previous hole at an angle. Could be a problem.  We've done this a couple ways. 1.You could drill the 1/4 through the first wall, then switch to a 1/4 dia  long center drill and spot the hole on the other side of the bore. 2. Drill the 1/4 hole first. 3. Install a removable detail in the fixture with a 1/4 drill bushing in it.

If you rotate the plug, the next hole will be passing through the center of the previous hole at an angle. Could be a problem.  We've done this a couple ways. 1.You could drill the 1/4 through the first wall, then switch to a 1/4 dia  long center drill and spot the hole on the other side of the bore. 2. Drill the 1/4 hole first. 3. Install a removable detail in the fixture with a 1/4 drill bushing in it.

The location of the 1/4" hole is off center of the plug, and that allows me to use the plug 3 times with no existing hole. 

You might want to try starting the hole with a 1/4 inch stub drill 1.00 deep into the plug then drill the hole to final depth with the long 1/4 inch drill.  Ghuring series 5514 drills hold size and location very well and I have used them to start deep holes before then I finished the holes with a longer drill.  It worked out great for me.  The only difference is I wasn't drilling through a bore with a plug in it.  I think this method would work  well for your application as well.

glad it's working good, here's another thought. drill a .25 hole about .75 deep then switch to a gundrill with thru spindle coolant, the initial .25 hole acts as a drill bushing, feed the gundrill in approx .5-.625 then turn spindle and coolant on.

That's basically what I'm doing.  But not a gun drill, I'm using a Guhring deep hole drill 20xD. With a pilot drill going .250 deep. entering slow and then turning on coolant and ramping up to speed and then drilling.

It's giving me a chubby.