Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma Millac853PF-5X Question.

I'm learning 5X milling on two of these and I've noticed that they do not pre-call the next tool in the magazine. I'm watching a significant amount of time rack up waiting for the tool changes. Where in the program would I put a call for the next tool and how should it look? I'm good on 3X type machines, but I've got no idea on one of these beasts.

T#M6 for the code. It calls a macro in the back end to move the table and call the tools up. We have some programs that are using a macro call to verify tool length offsets as well. That's where I'm most concerned at getting something wrong.

A T** call by itself should index the magazine to bring the next tool around but the tool change on these machines is still somewhat slow because the whole ATC mechanism has to move laterally to accommodate for the clearance that is needed for the 35 tilt ability of the head. The best you are going to see is about a 8-10 second tool change time. 

Guest MTB Technical Services

The 853PF-5x is a great machine.

I'm really glad Okuma kept it when the acquired Okuma-Howa and KGKI closed up in the US.

I did a demo for this machine for KGKI at WesTec in 1999 when it was the 852-PF.

Back then it came with a FANUC 15M with no TCP or HPCC.

I still remember Terry Yamazaki coming into the booth and really giving the machine an extended review.

• Like 1

Thank you Doug. I figured it should be that simple, but I'm not one to mess with stuff that works without asking the experts first. 8-10 seconds beats 45-60.

It's amazing how often such simple things yield substantial savings 

50 seconds per tool change x ??? tool changes a  year

pretty soon you're talking about real money 

• Like 1

It's amazing how often such simple things yield substantial savings 

50 seconds per tool change x ??? tool changes a  year

pretty soon you're talking about real money 

I'm working on getting plugs in place for the subplates on the machines. We loose 10+ minutes to clearing them out so we can lay the next big piece of aluminum on the table. Not to mention bolt installations and clamp changes. Not going to be "cheap", but 100pcs per month adds up really fast. Also need to rebuild my tool application info resources now that I know what they run at this place. Drilling with Coolant fed drills in Al at 1200RPM/F4.6..... It hurts watching that much cash be burned.

Didn't think I'd be waiting long to work on the low hanging fruit, did you G?

Cheapest way to protect holes on any CNC Milling machine is a penny. Machine a Counter bore into the table above the hole for a penny to fit in. Take dead Blow hammer and press penny into Counter bore. Need to remove take flat screw driver and hit in the center to remove. Anything else is going to cost a lot more to plug the hole and be harder to remove.

Edited: It was not making sense so I corrected my mistake.

Edited by 5th Axis Consulting
  • Like 2
Guest MTB Technical Services

Cheapest way to protect holes on any CNC Milling machine is a penny. Machine a Counter bore above the table for a penny to fit in. Take dead Blow hammer and press penny into Counter bore. Need to remove take flat screw driver and hit in the center to remove. Anything else is going to cost a lot more to plug the hole and be harder to remove.

Into the notebook with this one.

Great idea!

Definitely had this conversation with my supervisor. It's amazing how the perception changes when you say use cash. The set screws I found are about $.60 each. I need about 1000 per machine just for the primary subplates.

Maybe we'll win the battle with management that wants parts faster and less O/T to make deliveries. Just pre-calling tools is saving significant time. Trying to find a few other ways to minimize delays due to handling and clearing the tables for the next part. Can't avoid some of it though.

I want to thank everyone here for the ideas they've shared over the years. I haven't had many I can contribute, but this resource has helped me grow in amazing ways. I hope one day to be in a position to give back what has been given to me.